network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Launching homebrew from the SD slot? [DSi]

Is it possible yet? I wanna play DsDsRevolution

VIP Member

Well there is an R4 being built specifically for the DSi, so I would wait for that to come out first. I say this because if you don't use the R4, when it's released also will be the specs for making DSi versions of the carts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksidehearts View Post
    Well there is an R4 being built specifically for the DSi, so I would wait for that to come out first. I say this because if you don't use the R4, when it's released also will be the specs for making DSi versions of the carts.
    Well I know about the cards, but shouldn't someone be making custom firmware for the DSi? like the psp so you can run homebrew and applications and possibly emulators?

Quote Originally Posted by retard_gamer View Post
    Well I know about the cards, but shouldn't someone be making custom firmware for the DSi? like the psp so you can run homebrew and applications and possibly emulators?
    No. No one HAS to make anything. You can run homebrew, applications and definitely emulators with a card for the DSi.

mk theres a team currently working on an expliot for the dsi so far they got another helloworld running from working around a need for speed game and they are currently in the works of makeing a DSI homebrew channel for running homebrew off the sd card.
    Last edited by trigger_ftu; 05-04-2009 at 04:35 PM.

VIP Member

Well the bigger difference between the PSP and the DS was that with the PSP there is stuff to do on it, music, movies and such built in via the firmware. On the DS there is no actual usage of this, meaning that having a CFW on the DS is kind of pointless. I mean you'd be able to do homebrew on it but you'd still need a way to put it on the unit. Which is why we stuck to the Slot Cards, as the DS had no internal memory.

Now with the DSi on the other hand we might be able to make it into more of a PDA because there is more to do on the actual unit to expand it to something more than a simple gaming field.

I don't know if the DSi has internal memory or not but I do know that apps can be downloaded and stored on the SD card so it's possible to say you can make this into the same deal as the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksidehearts View Post
    Well the bigger difference between the PSP and the DS was that with the PSP there is stuff to do on it, music, movies and such built in via the firmware. On the DS there is no actual usage of this, meaning that having a CFW on the DS is kind of pointless. I mean you'd be able to do homebrew on it but you'd still need a way to put it on the unit. Which is why we stuck to the Slot Cards, as the DS had no internal memory.

Now with the DSi on the other hand we might be able to make it into more of a PDA because there is more to do on the actual unit to expand it to something more than a simple gaming field.

I don't know if the DSi has internal memory or not but I do know that apps can be downloaded and stored on the SD card so it's possible to say you can make this into the same deal as the PSP.

ok 2 notes.
    1. only 1.2 right ont he ds light and ds fat b/c patchme is in a way an actual CFW b/c one could stream games and also homebrew to the ds w/o the need of a flashcart (even tho one is needed to flash the ds system.

2. the dsi can hold apps on the sd card it was a backup function but with some editing of the .bin files (kinda like what we did with tinkering withteh wii's channel files to find the ticket info and such) a person can just as easly alter the channels info useing the U8 tool b/c it's built the same (well besides the full screen graphics when u select the game) so makeing a dsi homebrew channel should be easy peasy just the falt of knowing if the sd card driver is the same as that of the wii's seeings the ios functionality is well similar.

Awesome! so someone is trying to get a homebrew channel! SWEET CAN'T WAIT

Elite Poster

Yes just use R4i, cost the same as R4.

@Darksidehearts: Technically speaking, the DS does have internal memory, to store the firmware and the system files and stuff

VIP Member

Right but it's not enough for the many features that a PSP can do. Basically the DSi can do most things the PSP can do because of the built in hardware & software so it's more flexible in terms of being a mini-PDA. The DS & DS Lite are great gaming devices but they are built for just gaming. If you really need PDA functionality on it just use a Home-brew enabled card.

I suppose that was my point at the time but for some reason I failed to execute the words for it.