network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
    XMB Creator

Default [NEWS]How JailbreakMe Gets Root

JailbreakMe.com was released a few days ago it would jailbreak the iphone by accessing it through a hole apple had not patched in the software, this hole had been in the software from day one. The same hole that can now be used to jailbreak a huge range of iDevices, can also be used in a way that could harm your device, even those that are jailbroken. The only thing to protect you from this until apple release a update to patch it is, cdevwill's PDF Loading Warner tweak, which can be downloaded off Cydia.

When you are visiting a site and the iphone detects it could possibly be dangerous, and image like the one above will be shown, simply click cancel, and the page loading will be stoped, and you will be safe to navigate away from the site. Click load if the site is from someone trusted like Comex (creator of spirit and JailbreakMe.com). I just installed this, went on to JailbreakMe.com and it did pop up this warning box, but obviously Comex is a trusted dev.

People just be careful and make sure of your jailbroken you install this app for your on safety.

thanks to Psyko, I now know that it does conflict with some applications on the iphone, install if you want, im uninstalling this.

Source : The FlateDecode Hole: How JailbreakMe Gets Root
    Last edited by neelo; 08-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    @AnilKieranMehmi

Thanks for posting, Apple will soon come out with a patch that could block the jailbreak.
    Thanks DigitalFlow for the sig!

XMB Creator

yes they very well could
    but just like chpwn tweeted
    "there are /lots/ of public exploits out there, and @comex's JailbreakMe just uses one of them." So it's "no big deal" if Apple fixes this one, because there are, apparently, enough holes in the system to allow future jailbreaks. Yikes. And Apple complains about jailbreaks causing "compromised security..."
    so maybe the next one wont be a web based jailbreak
    but a simple usb one again.
    @AnilKieranMehmi

Retired

I installed this the same day the JB was released. But as this damn thing blocked access to the Clock app, I had to remove it. I'm seriously not trading the few stock apps I'm using for protection against a virus I wont encounter. (as I barely browse the internet on my iPod anyway)

XMB Creator

yep i too think this app wont become of any use to me atall, I just have it to stay on the safe side

EDIT : thanks for the heads up Psyko, i didnt realize it made a few apps work incorrectly, I am actually uninstalling this.
    Last edited by neelo; 08-03-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    @AnilKieranMehmi

Spotter got spotted!

Looks like Apple screwed up big time. I'm still not installing this if it has conflicts with other apps though.

I don't have any problems.
    Thanks DigitalFlow for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    I installed this the same day the JB was released. But as this damn thing blocked access to the Clock app, I had to remove it. I'm seriously not trading the few stock apps I'm using for protection against a virus I wont encounter. (as I barely browse the internet on my iPod anyway)

Apple will soon come out with a patch that could block the jailbreak.