network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator

Default First Amendment Protects Video Games

The supreme court has just ruled today that video games are protected by the first amendment.

You might be asking what does the government have to do with my video games? Well for most of you nothing. It does however pertain to you if you're under the age of 18 a.k.a "minor". Most of you might not know this but for the past six years there has been a supreme court case going on, on whether if it's a violation of a person's freedom of speech to purchase violent video games if under the age of 18.

Brown v. EMA began after a law passed in California which made the selling of violent games to children a crime. The video game industry followed by suing the California government stating that this violated a person's freedom of speech. As previously stated the case went on for the past six years until earlier today. In a landmark decision the Supreme Court ruled in favor of EMA 7-2 stating that video games are protected by the first amendment.

This case has been the center of many heated debates over the years but whether you agree or not this is the law of the land and that is so.
    Last edited by Dmise; 06-27-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Super Moderator

I didn't want to bring my personal opinions into the OP but I think certain mature video games shouldn't be sold to minors. I may be a hypocrite as I purchased mature video games while I was under the age of 18 but nowadays kids spend most of their time playing games and when playing these video games for a long time it could really impact a child's mental development.

I for one never had the money resources to go out and buy all the new game systems and such so I never spent much time playing video games until the past few years where I "myself" purchased my own games. But like I said earlier, today kids spend to much time playing their games and in the long run it hurts them. That's where we start seeing stories in the news of kids killing their parents for not letting them play their games. I'm not saying every kid playing violent games will do these things but it's rules like these that contribute to such atrocious acts.

I don't see how the supreme court "the highest law in the nation" could actually favor the video game industry in this one, especially in such a manor that 7 out of the 9 judges ruled in favor of the industry. It makes you think what kind of people we have running our government.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dmise View Post
    I didn't want to bring my personal opinions into the OP but I think certain mature video games shouldn't be sold to minors. I may be a hypocrite as I purchased mature video games while I was under the age of 18 but nowadays kids spend most of their time playing games and when playing these video games for a long time it could really impact a child's mental development.
    It's actually been proven that games don't hinder the mental development of anyone. There have actually been studies done that show they can actually teach kids many good things.

Such as;

The value of money ( most games with some kind of money/gold currency (shit doesn't come free, except to those who use cheat codes, where cheat codes are used))
    How to be social ( mainly in mmo games (many doctors/therapists now prescribe some games to people with anti-social/anxiety disorders. To help gets the ball rolling to their favor.))
    Brain stimulation (Any games with puzzles in them or problem solving "quests, or objectives" help to stimulate the brain to think in ways it normally wouldn't think in real world situations, thus allowing it to learn.)

And the list can go on. There's much more benefits to games than downsides.

And for the love of god let's not turn this into a "My son played GTA, then shot up the neighborhood" thread.

As to the kids killing themselves/parents, that really has nothing with the game nor brain development. It's more around the lines of a kid having an already existing mental illness that lead to the outcome above.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Great info about game

Really...I don't like those kinds of games, probably not my type.

Any other happy games suggestions? I like to play Olympic games, is there some good advise?

What does it repeat my post. Confused.

Its really good that Video games are now secure....