network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sony sued for removing "Other OS" feature on PS3s

It took longer than we expected, but someone has finally filed a class-action lawsuit against Sony for removing the "Other OS" feature on its PlayStation 3 consoles in a patch last month. Filed on April 27 by Anthony Ventura of California, the suit accuses Sony of the "intentional disablement of the valuable functionality originally advertised as available."

In addition to breaching the sales contract between purchasers, Ventura's filing says Sony deceived "millions of unsuspecting customers." As such, the lawsuit is being brought "on behalf of a nationwide class of all persons who purchased a PS3 during the period of November 17, 2006 to March 27, 2010 and who did not sell their PS3 before March 27, 2010."

Among other things, Ventura is after compensatory damages and injunction relief. While no exact figure is given, the suit says "the amount in controversy is in excess of $5 million." Further details are available at IGN, who has retrieved a copy of the lawsuit (PDF).

Sources | Techspot | IGN
    Useful Threads
    [x] [x] [x] [x]

Spot Veteran

LOL! wow, some idiot really sued sony for trying to protect their PS3 console from exploits that could lead to pirating games by removing a feature that wasn't even recognized that much... funny stuff, so many people are sue happy, its sad...

Wanna request a sig click the [X]

M-M-M Monster Member

now thats that shizz
    he must be richh

I <3 Big Boobies

Smh, Like that dude can't afford a computer.. -_- Is not that big a deal.

PSN: DeadlyGmn

Spot Veteran

Lol, thats like the ultimate shitstorm for Sony. Not only have they had someone hack their console which could destroy their profits and now someone has taken them to court because they tried to out smart the hacker.

I think that this guy should just get no money what so ever in return that Sony gives back the OtherOS system and also enable HomeBrew .
    Check my website out: Click Here

I <3 Big Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Konkor View Post
    Lol, thats like the ultimate shitstorm for Sony. Not only have they had someone hack their console which could destroy their profits and now someone has taken them to court because they tried to out smart the hacker.

I think that this guy should just get no money what so ever in return that Sony gives back the OtherOS system and also enable HomeBrew .
    Unless they can give a good reason on why Other OS is really nessacary or how it effects their everyday lives, They aren't gonna see anything..

Spot Veteran

Tis pretty bad, people use PS3's as servers for there websites and stuff... If he was just using it for Linux... Then what a burk.

I <3 Big Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinos View Post
    Tis pretty bad, people use PS3's as servers for there websites and stuff... If he was just using it for Linux... Then what a burk.
    But to be fair enough, Is the update mandatory in order to use Other OS feature? Cause if you are using it for just a server. You wouldnt have to worry about updating?

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gman17 View Post
    But to be fair enough, Is the update mandatory in order to use Other OS feature? Cause if you are using it for just a server. You wouldnt have to worry about updating?
    You make a good point.

But once again, I don't think this guy is suing for the actual Other OS support, I think he's suing to protect us, (I not, then screw him) Sony is getting away with murder. If there is another exploit in the internet browser, what's Sony gonna do? Remove a feature completely because they can't patch it up?

Why can't Sony accept the fact that no matter how hard you try, (Although it is the effort that counts) people will hack the ps3.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by afterlife1230 View Post
    LOL! wow, some idiot really sued sony for trying to protect their PS3 console from exploits that could lead to pirating games by removing a feature that wasn't even recognized that much... funny stuff, so many people are sue happy, its sad...
    A lot more people were using the OtherOS option than you might think. And Sony can't protect their consoles. Removing OtherOS didn't stop or hinder the release/development of a CFW. Nor did it stop that CFW from being used. The exploit is hardware based which means it can't be fully patched, they'd have to make new systems to do that, which even still leaves the old ones up for grab.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)