network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retired

Default NDS Lite fails at loading ROMs

I got a Acekard 2i flashcard for my sister's NDS. It was working fine. After some advice from a friend I swapped the loader to AKAIO 1.7.1.
    Yet, everything was working fine. Despite some save file issues after swapping the loader, that's in the past. Was all fixed.

So just yesterday, Super Mario Bros stopped working. It did launch, but after the Nintendo screen it it froze.
    Deleted the .sav file and it started, worked just fine.
    But when Mario Kart didn't work anymore, I couldn't just delete the save file, seeing that I had been playing Mario kart for a week straight.

Okay, I thought. I deleted all the .sav files and tried again. Games would now recreate the save file, and they did launch. but this time, sounds were looping and it was acting in a way I never really seen neither a NDS nor a PSP game before.

So I formatted the card in FAT with 32 kilobyte allocation size, whatever that is and tried again. Put the AKAIO loader along with the games back on the memory stick. Yet it whitewashes, no matter what.

What should I do?

I have tried reformatting it with FAT32 instead, but not much luck there either.

Spotter got spotted!

Odd.. If it was working fine I don't see why it should stop working. I can't really help since I'm an R4 user. Does the old AceKard firmware work for you still? Or does that give problems too?

Retired

Okay, so I've formatted the card back to FAT. I got some help in the IRC and I was told to do so.

Let's take mario kart for instance.
    It launches, I get through the "is this name okay?" and "choose an emblem" messages.
    After that, the music repeats a 0.25 seconds long piece of the music (sounds like such) and the screens go black.

What the hell is wrong?

I've tried WITH the old save files, I've tried Without the old save files, I've tried AKAIO loader, I've tried the AK2i loader....

Spotter got spotted!

So the game actually loads and then freezes afterwards? I've read up on it, and apparently sometimes the cart doesn't make contact with the slot. Try wedging a piece of paper in between the card and the slot to see if that fixes the freezing. (Don't get it stuck though )

Retired

That's not the problem, for sure. My sister has this horse game that works just fine. Super Mario bros and MarioKart is the ones that wont launch properly.

Super Mario Bros freezes on a black screen after the nintendo logo.
    MarioKart comes to the menu but freezes with black screen and background music on loop when you click an option in the menu.

So far I've tried:

I've tried:
    • ....using different copies of Mario Kart and super mario bros
    • ...using the AKAIO loader, but also the original 4.23 AK2i loader.
    • ...formatting it to FAT
    • ...formatting it to FAT32
    • ... to launch the games with new save files
    • ...launching the games with the original save files, where games where half way beaten

This is driving me nuts!
    Last edited by Psyko; 08-03-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Spotter got spotted!

Oh.. Do you have the latest AK2i loader installed in the "__aio/loaders" directory?

Retired

no?

How would I go on about installing that?

edit: in fat1:/__aio/loaders/ there are two files.
    ak2loader.nds and akloader.nds

Both came with the AKAIO package I downloaded.
    Though the __aio/ak2loader/ folder is empty.

Spotter got spotted!

Well, since you have AKAIO firmware installed I'm guessing you'll need the loader too.
    http://akaio.net/loaders/
    There's a link to the loaders download page. Download the one you need

Retired

I replaced the loaders with the one you linked to, and now it doesn't launch at all. After launching the game it just freezes =/

where did you buy the acekard from? that's a huge factor in it. you've replaced the entire AK OS firmware with AKAIO 1.7.1, right? not just the loader?
    if all else fails, try this:

1: backup your save files and make sure they're in *.sav format, not *.nds.sav format. though that shouldn't be a problem.
    2: format your memory card with panasonic sd formatter. (never use windows integrated formatter.)
    3: download this clean AKAIO 1.7.1 and install it on your memory card.
    4: when AKAIO loads up press start and click "more ->" at the bottom.
    5: use wifi update to update the loader, savelib, and usrcheat.dat.

if your roms still fail to load properly then either look for a clean dump, since AKAIO has realtime AP patching, and all games should be played clean on acekards, or look for one that is "properly patched" to fix your specific issue. though playing a clean dump should fix any issues.

but yes, using new loaders with an older firmware will cause it to malfunction the way you're experiencing.
    the loaders that SpotterMan linked you to are the same loaders i and everyone else with akaio are using.

edit:
    in order to use wifi update, you have to have a wifi connection on your NDS. so load up a game like zelda, mario kart (lol), dragon quest 9, etc etc which has wifi enabled. and go to nintendo WFC settings, and create a connection. if you have more than one connection saved, sometimes that can cause AKAIO to freeze up during wifi update.

and about what spotter said about the PCB of the AK not coming into direct contact with that of the NDS, that couldn't be the problem since it freezes at the exact same moment each time and only in those specific games.

and also, i'm 87.46% sure that you're either using new loaders with old firmware, or you just have bad/patched dumps. with acekard, make sure you are ALWAYS using clean dumps. PM me if you want more info that i can't discuss here.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    edit again: i had some problems with getting children of mana to load properly with the current akaio loaders, and this is how i solved the problem,

AFTER YOU'VE DONE EVERYTHING MENTIONED ABOVE:
    1: download the latest official acekard OS loader (attached)
    2: put that file into your "\__aio\ak2loader" and you now have the option whether to select the official acekard OS loader or the AKAIO latest loader.
    3: load up your acekard and hilight your rom, press start>properties, then press Y.
    4: on the rom settings menu, make sure save type is "unknown/auto" and try switching the loader to the official ak os loader.

do not do this for every game, this is only for games that have problems with the latest akaio loaders.
    (though i can assure you that my mario kart and new super mario bros work fine with the latest akaio firmware)

sorry if i'm confusing you. i'm going off memory here (can't get to a save point in Tales of Innocence so i can't load up my card for reference ) and i'm assuming you have some knowledge of the NDS/flash carts/firmwares/loaders.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shabutie78; 08-04-2010 at 04:14 PM.