network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultra Member

Default Team R4 to brick a DS with fake R4 card

Havent seen much DS news on this site of recent, but thought this deserved some acknowledgement due to the actions the R4 team will be taking. In a surprising move the team behind the R4 Nintendo DS entertainment, development and backup unit are planning on bricking your Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite - that is if you're using a cloned product. Knowingly or not the R4 Team plans on releasing a firmware that will wipe your Nintendo DS's on-board BIOS to smithereens.

In a move to fight other factories from replicating their flashcart without permission the R4 Team will release a new firmware to combat the situation. Cloning happens a lot in the scene as factories either steal the design or the unit is reproduced using cheap parts. Most cloning is done by a few companies including Divineo and in that companies instance the clones are promoted on sites Divineo owns such as **********.com.

Important point:

1. After 15 September, Team R4 will do something for the fake card, original program(firmware) with Fake R4 may damage your DS machine (brick), original R4 will have no problem with this program.

2. Make sure you have bought an original R4 (see photo above), if you brick your DS with fake R4, please go ask the selling shop and Team R4 will not admitted this liability.
    So now we have all been warned. Team R4 do not want any of us to purchase the fake version's from elsewhere.
    Last edited by ads1212; 07-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.

This only hurts the end user, not the person making the fake R4s.

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    This only hurts the end user, not the person making the fake R4s.
    So true, so true.

Like some noob reads about R4 and then sees it in the store only four bucks ninetynine . He buys the card, his ds bricks, he lost his ds AND $4.99, sucks to be him, in the mean time those korean bastards (asuming their korean ) keep getting money from those noobs .

What they should do is make the next firmware incompatible with the fake cards (e.g. on screen text saying, you've been fucked by some crappy ass company). The company wouldn't be able to sell the cards unless they do some serious tweeking, AND the noobs can still enjoy their DS, while losing only a small amount of cash, which they probably can get back from the company.

Damn I talk to much

Default bad move...

yeah... this is really a bad move for r4 team... i rather buy a cheaper flash card rather than bricking my nds... edge card it's much better than r4 with 8 to 16gb microsd support.

Ultra Member

This is out of order, but I think that R4 want to stamp down in a very harsh way.

how do you spell evil? E-V-I-L

Ultra Member

Yes, it's harsh, but there is not much anyone can do. Im just gald I have M3.

I have an r4, because of this, I'm tossing it and buying a cyclods.

Default i found out ...

i HAVE a Fake but a real clone works fine but doesnt the ds have a protected firmware? if r4 does kno how to unlock the firmware it could lead to CUSTUM FIRMWARE

Tsuna_fish at GBATemp.net MenuDO Tester
    EWW at avatar D:

No. Only the first 64KB is actually protected while the rest can be written to. It is a bug that if the remaining part is written then the unit can be bricked. You are protected if you are already running a hacked firmware however as I have done because those that modified it fixed the issue.
    Last edited by shinji257; 07-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.