network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default [Tutorial] Mod Your PS2

This is a guide I made for another site I frequent. This guide is intended for the PSTwo a.k.a PS2 Slim. There is no software limitation that will stop you from doing this on a old model, but you definitely have to have a flip-top model.

1. What are we essentially doing?

Tricking the PS2 into running a disc with a file browser when it thinks its running a game, and loading a filebrowser when it thinks its loading a level. I'm eventually going to show you how to do it for James Bond: Agent under fire, but with this particular exploit there are other games that you can use:

***007 Agent under fire, DRIVING.ELF {info is in the tutorial}

***007 from Russia with love, NFS.ELF [ go to the need for speed DEMO from the main menu, and it will boot ulaunchelf ]

***SOCOM Combined Assult, SCUSNGUI.ELF [swap at main menu, select "MULTIPLAYER", now select "LAN", you will go to another screen where you exit, upon exiting that screen ulaunchelf will start.]

***Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, NETDOWN.ELF [ press start, your now at the main menu, swap disks, select "SPECIAL", now select "CAMOUFLAGE DOWNLOAD", ulaunchelf will start]

***Socom 3, SCUSNGUI.ELF [from main menu, select your save, select "ONLINE", select "LAN", select "EDIT CONFIGURATION", ulaunch will start ]

***Socom 2, SCUSNGUI.ELF [from the main menu, swap in your backup, select "LAN", select "EDIT NETWORK CONFIGURATIONS", ulaunchelf will start.]

***Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, NTGUI2CN.ELF (in netgui folder)[first create a save game, then select "PLAY ON-LINE", it will now ask you to "Launch NetGui application now?" select yes, ulaunchelf will start.]

***Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, SC3_ON.ELF [swap at main menu, press start, then select "MULTIPLAYER ONLINE", ulaunchelf will start]

***Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, GUI.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[at main menu swap, "press start" & select "PLAY ONLINE", a series of loading screens will happen, select "create/edit", select "create/edit" again, another screen will ask you the same question., ulaunch will start]

***King of Fighters: Neowave, NTGUI2.ELF [press start, now select "NETWORK MATCH", highlight the first option and enter that, now select the second option, uLaunchelf will start]

***StarWars Battlefront 2 NTGUI.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[go to the main menu, swap and select "multiplayer", now select "LAN", select "Add/Edit", now select "EXIT WITHOUT SAVING", ulaunch will start]

***Jak X Combat Racing, NTGUI_UC.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[first create a save, from the main menu, select "Exhibition", now select "LAN", now select "ACCEPT", ulaunchelf will start]

***Ratchet Deadlocked, NTGUI.ELF (in NETGUI folder)[select "MULTIPLAYER", now select "ONLINE PLAY", select "NETWORK SETUP", ulaunch will start]

***Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, NTGUI2.ELF (in the NTGUI2 folder)[select "ONLINE", now "ACCEPT", now select "Edit/Create Network Configuration", ulaunchelf will start]

***NHL 2004, NTGUI.ELF [Main Menu > Game Modes > Play Online > Continue without saving, then Swap at Network Configuration screen and hit X, ulaunchelf will start]

*** Demo Disc 066 [NTSC-U] [SCUS-97241],ROCKY.ELF (in rocky folder) [select "playground", there is a little video so press X to skip, then select "rocky". Press X and it gives you a controller diagram, SWAP here and then press X. uLaunchELF will start.]
    Not all of these games are reported to work, but the only one I can reliably attest to working is the AUF. If you happen to try some of these games and you do confirm them to work please don't hesitate to post up.

2. What does PSTwo hacking bring us?

ISO loading mainly, speed really depends if you are on a Phat model or a slim. Phat users do have the choice of a internal HDD or an external, while slim users are stuck with the externals. Its definetly faster off the Phat models (internal HDD BTW), but slim models are so easy to softmod, your brain is going melt. There are emulators out, but not many. With this method, If you have the luxury of having both, you can run the exploit on the slim, and just use the Phat, as long as you have that pesky network drive.

ISO loading here is noticbly slower via usb 1.1 (but animations for some reason are sped up a little) but you can also play burnt games this way as well. You can use either Swap Magic or ESR. Swap Magic is the easy option, it takes care of region coding (as long as your disc is patched or you have a switch on your TV) has a cheat option, and is the preferred method. ESR is the much quicker option, all you have to do is patch your games with a program and pop it into your PS2. All ESR is doing, is tricking your PS2 into thinking it's a DVD movie. You can see this even in the PS2 browser.

3. What emulators are there?

Not many, because the PS2's arcitecture is so odd. For now, follow this link. The one Genesis one runs almost to perfection, and the SNES one is spotty on the rom selection, but it played most of what I've had to offer.

4. Is it worth the trouble?

Pretty much. I've had a ps2 in the house for a while (I've ran through many different phats with bad lasers, and had a few 'accidents' with slims) so the condition of my discs are starting to show. With this at least, if you have a decent DVD drive on your PC, you can add to the life of your PS2 by taking all of the stress off the not so well designed laser. PSTwo's are going to get discontinued soon, and I want to be able to protect my purchase, and some of my favorite games of all time.

Getting Started

First off I've included almost EVERY app you will ever need (save for a few emulators) to hack your PSTwo, in this handy little link. (no thanks necessary)

Also you will need:

- Blank DVD-R's
    - USB Flash (FAT 32)
    - a PSTwo (obviously)
    - A Memory Card (preferably the memory cards that have a higher than 8mb capacity so you don't have to format)
    - Phillips screwdrivers
    - Electircal tape

PS2 ESSENTIALS

Now to get the exploit up and running (the less physically demanding part)

On the software side...

I use Alcohol 52% to rip my OWN PS2 DISCS to my PC's HDD. Make sure this is Agent Under Fire or one of the aforementioned games that have the exploitable .ELF

Put in your PS2 disc, and open Alcohol 52. You will be greeted by a menu like this, and the button we are interested in is the "Image Making Wizard" on the left.

When you click on the menu and your game is loaded, you will have this type of menu pop up. Alcohol 52 has its own little settings and ish for PS2 isos, so we are gonna leave them on default and hit that next button. Should look a little something like this.

Hit the next button, and tell it where to save.

Yes I know the game is wrong, but the pic is very related. Same instructions. Ripping screen

After we FINALLY get that done, we have to do a little modding of the ISO.

Open up Apache 1.1 in the EXPLOIT folder and this should pop up.

Go to the open folder, and go to where you saved your iso. Things can get a little hairy here so follow along. If you are using a different game for the exploit, but the instructions remain the same essentially.

Now, we are going to replace a level with a file browser. So click on the .ELF thats going to be exploited and go to ISO Tools, and select Change TOC.
    This will pop up on ya

Now go to the EXPLOIT folder and find the DRIVING.ELF. (If you are using a different game, you will have to rename the .elf to what the game requires in the aforementioned list) Right click and go to properties and check out it's size in bytes. Should be the value "877,420". Go back to Apache, and copy that value into the "Size" box.
    NEVER EVER EVER TOUCH THE LBA EVER
    Now go to the same menu again, and select update file. Load in your "DRIVING.ELF"

After that, save it, and burn your new iso to a DVD-R with your favorite burning program

Now for the hardware part...

First thing we are going to do is check if you are going to need to open up your PSTwo.

Get a wet paper towel or something that will keep the button depressed and shove it into this hole

Hook up your PSTwo and put in a disc with tray OPEN, and turn it on. If the laser activates, go buy a lottery ticket or something because you have one of those lucky PSTwos that you don't have to open up to mod. You can tell, because the laser will move back and forth like a disc is in the drive.

More than likely, it won't activate. To open, there are 6 screws behind some plates, 2 rubber feet and a warranty sticker for a PSTwo which has likely outlived it.

Were gonna crack this thing open, but BE CARFUL around the front part, especially around the power LED. That thing gets damaged, we are in a heap of trouble. There are 2 things we are going after now. The disc brake and the hidden sensor

The disc brake is in this region here, but I broke mine off. Screwdriver kept messed up the screw, so I decided to break it. Same results.

The other disc sensor is here, and I went with the same method as before. My tape wasn't holding it down, so i took the end of a philips screwdriver and pushed the button in the down position, then I stuck a little dab of crazy glue on top of it. Works for me...

On to the exploit...

Now with your sensors blocked, blank memory card and usb stick with the files on it, fire up your ps2 with the Agent under fire disc with the tray open. It should start up like normal, and thats fine.

When it hits the main menu, quickly swap for the Agent Under Fire that you've previously modded. Its OK if the music stops or the menu skips around a little bit, just as long as you don't take forever in swapping the discs.

Since we've replaced the driving level with a file launcher we have to get to the part of the game that requires driving. You can Action Replay Max a gamesave to a driving level, or play the first 5 minutes of the game. The latter is more recommended because it can be a pain to get that far or find one on the net. I'm going to warn you though, it will probably be one of the most painful 5 minutes of gaming you EVER endured.

Finally, finally we get to the exploit.

You will be greeted by a menu such as this:

(picture wasn't mine, credit to original owner. don't have any way to capture TV screens)

Select filebrowser, and go to :/MASS

Select install

and be greeted by a menu such as this

(also not mine, credit to original owner)

Select Format MC if you have things on your memory card (exploit can take almost all of it..)

If you have formatted, or have a clean card, select Multi-version Install. This takes away any compatibility problems with your specific PSTwo, and inserting this memory card into ANY PS2/Two will automatically be modded.

For all intents and purposes, your PS2 is now hacked. There are a huge wealth of resources here

NOTE: IF YOU WANT MORE THAN ONE FREE MCBOOT MEMORY CARD, YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE EXPLOIT PER CARD. YOU SIMPLY CANNOT COPY THE FILES OVER.

PM me or post in the thread if you guys have any questions...
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 07-15-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Fixed post

Elite Poster

I merged your posts and put images in spoilers so that it wouldn't stretch the forums.

Oh ok. Thanks. It looks quite a bit nicer. Also, how do you put things in spoilers? What is the code?

it's [spoil ] [/spoil ] without the spaces.

Elite Poster

You're welcome. It's better now.

Thanks Wizard..

I wonder if anyone is gonna use this...

Don't Stop Me Now

Nice tutorial might give it a try

Many thanks to DigitalFlow for making Bruce Lee sig

Nice! Definently should be stikied.
    I'm just surprised it didn't come out earlier...

Spot Veteran

I really like this, but i got rid of my ps2 after i got a ps3 :/
    Kinda sucks after i found out ps3 doesn't have reverse compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Blah View Post
    I really like this, but i got rid of my ps2 after i got a ps3 :/
    Kinda sucks after i found out ps3 doesn't have reverse compatibility
    I know right? Got one for like 30 bucks from a guy on CL. I am now doing 60% of shopping for my gaming needs on CL. People don't know that they are practically giving away stuff for free