network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com

View Poll Results: Laptop or Netbook?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ew, Netbooks? Those keyboards are tiny. Laptops all the way!

9 81.82%
  • Laptops are too bulky in my opinion. I prefer Netbooks.

2 18.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Furfag

Default Laptop or Netbook?

Howdy Cspot! :)

College is just around the corner for me, so I've started to stock up on supplies. I have a question though. Which would you prefer, a Laptop or a Netbook? My major is Psychology so I doubt I'll have to do any hardcore work on it (other than using Microsoft Word alot). I want one thats good for multimedia purposes (mostly MSN webcam chatting and playing MMO's), the only 3D game I plan on playing is Phantasy Star Online.

PS: I have about a $600-800 limit.

Thanks ;)

Ultra Member

Laptop. You'll be glad you did.

Cookie Monstah!!!

i also go with laptop but since you said you are going to study psychology you are not going to be needing a computer with high specs, so i would go with netbook but even though consider a laptop even if you are not going to be using it for progams, there are some nice laptops there and netbooks are just too little xD

My Platinums Sig.

=^.^=

Spot Veteran

Id get a Laptop, because I have one. My GF has a Dell Netbook... it came with Win 7 starter.. that doesnt even let you have aero support or wallpapers... and the netbook sucks.. couldnt even play a simple game like bright shadow without frame lag... And my laptop has a chipset and plays games that require 3.0 pixel shaders like Prince Of Persia (2009) and COD4 and it plays almost any MMO out there. havent gotten an MMO that I havent been able to run perfect on high settings with a resolution of 1366x? i dont remember... and netbook keyboards are small... btw, me and my GF had a start up race. mine took less than a minute while hers was still on the beginning screen. where it starts all processes, not the logon screen.

Also my laptop didnt exceed $700. and its amazing for a cheap budget laptop.

Wanna request a sig click the [X]

Furfag

Mmm... Yeah, I was thinking more towards a laptop. My friend Nick had bought this fancy looking red Netbook by Gateway. It has like a 120gb HD, and was running Windows 7. Funny thing is, when he tried playing the game I mentioned above, it was laggy as hell (even in Fullscreen!). Would a Laptop play it any better? Which brand would prefer? Are there any Laptops with a built-in camera, or do I just have to buy an external one?

Edit: Didn't see Afterlife's post xD.
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-13-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Spot Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma365 View Post
    Mmm... Yeah, I was thinking more towards a laptop. My friend Nick had bought this fancy looking red Netbook by Gateway. It has like a 120gb HD, and was running Windows 7. Funny thing is, when he tried playing the game I mentioned above, it was laggy as hell (even in Fullscreen!). Would a Laptop play it any better? Which brand would prefer? Are there any Laptops with a built-in camera, or do I just have to buy an external one?
    lolz, mine has a built in mic and webcam. they both work great, i used the mic till i got a razer headset for my games.

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black - UL50VT-RBBBK05

there is a decent laptop, only thing is its got 1.3 ghz processor, but its dual core.. still kinda sucks though.

Asus K60IJ-RBLX05 16" Laptop: Write Product Reviews at NexTag

that one is actually my laptop. it works great.

Amazon.com: Asus Laptop K60I-RBBBR05, 2.2ghz, 4GB, 500GB, DVD±RW/CD-RW Double Layer Support, 16" LED high-definition display, Webcam, Windows 7 Premium 64bit, 6-cell lithium-ion battery, Vintage Brown: Computer & Accessories

thats another newer version of mine, i think its only got a .01 increase in ghz on the dual core processor, but its got a 500 gb HDD. mine only has about 250 gb.

lolz, just saw u edited your post. still those are all pretty good budget laptops. not made for gaming but made for entertainment, so they all have a wide range of things they can do. And I use microsoft word on mine all the time for school, so of course its gonna work great for pretty much anything
    Last edited by afterlife1230; 04-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Linux Enthusiast

Laptop for any multimedia purposes.

Netbook strictly for chatting/word processing/web browsing.

As for good laptops, personally I've not had one problem with my HP Pavillion Dv9720us. Plays all my games I play ( FlyFF, NFS, and a few others ), Also has a built in webcam, and came with a DVD DL burner.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Spot Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    Laptop for any multimedia purposes.

Netbook strictly for chatting/word processing/web browsing.

As for good laptops, personally I've not had one problem with my HP Pavillion Dv9720us. Plays all my games I play ( FlyFF, NFS, and a few others ), Also has a built in webcam, and came with a DVD DL burner.
    mine came with a DVD burner too, it also came with a bluray utility... im not sure why... but it did. :P ive also got smart logon and stuff like that too... just enable it, look at the camera and itll log u in by face recognition.

Retired

What's the difference anyway? All this time I thought they're the same.

Either way, laptop. Why get a computer with worse performance than one with good?
    tho if a netbook is cheaper, and you're mainly going to use it in college, thne go with the netbook.

Spot Veteran

The difference is a netbook is a mini laptop
    -A laptop with less specs
    -still capable of web, email, skype, etc.
    -usually has no disc drive...
    -most common screen size is 10.1 inch diagonal, never more than 11 - 12"

Anyways, if you are not doing hardcore gaming, i would get a netbook with nice specs
    Preferably an asus ee with a reversible touch screen, maybe with linux
    Like this one: