network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Partition Troubles

Okay, I'm dual booting two os's right now. Win 7 and Vista. I've been doing it for awhile now with no troubles but I'm running out of disk space. The reason I've kept the vista partition is for files on it that I needed.
    Well after backing those files up I wanted to format it. But it won't format it because its the Primary, Active partition.

Now I've tried doing this before and it fucked everything up. I went into the vista os and made my win 7 the primary. However when I re-booted it said the NSDR file is missing. Or something like that. So at that point I had to wipe everything, re-install vista from my CD. Then decided to get windows 7 again. Decided to backup those files I needed again, and here I am wanting to format C: but can't.

My question is, how do I make the D: drive (one I'm on) the primary active partion without messing everything up. I've done some googling but haven't found the answer I needed. Really all I want is to format the C: drive for my extra 100 gigs of space back. Thanks in advance!

Cookie Monstah!!!

well I'm in windows seven and the easiest way to change the Primary OS is by doing the following.

click on the start menu and type on the search bar

config

there you should see 5 tabs (General, Boot, Services, Startup, and Tools)
    Select Boot and there you should see the two OS you have successfully installed (Windows 7 and Windows Vista) and then select which one you want...that's the easy way to do it i think :/

My Platinums Sig.

=^.^=

XMB Creator

advice: format vista partition. format windows 7 partition. install windows xp sp3! there ya go! you just solved ALL your problems lol!

^Thanks go to gman for this sig!^

Themes:

Okay I would do what you suggested. THe problem I'm having is I cant format the partitions. It wont let me. I'm keeping the win 7 for files I need. But I want to get rid of the vista partition. Its not letting me format it.

This is how I'm gonna fix everything though. Install win 7 to the vista partition. It'll place that in a Windows.Old folder. I'll delete that folder and have my space back. move everything I need from the old windows 7 partition, and format that one. So I'll have an empty partition and windows 7.

Problem solved unless theres an easier way.

The Moogle

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoXB View Post
    advice: format vista partition. format windows 7 partition. install windows xp sp3! there ya go! you just solved ALL your problems lol!
    Gonna pretend you didn't suggest this and say to wipe the whole HDD and install 7. Back up the essentials and forget about playing with the MBR. Also, never install an OS over another one like that.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoXB View Post
    If you're going to go for XP at LEAST go for SP2. SP3 is where XP got all fucked up.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    If you're going to go for XP at LEAST go for SP2. SP3 is where XP got all fucked up.
    You'll have to elaborate there. I dualboot XP with my current Windows 7 partition, so please. Do tell what's wrong.

The way I was e-raised was to believe in service packs. Always updating to the newest ones.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    You'll have to elaborate there. I dualboot XP with my current Windows 7 partition, so please. Do tell what's wrong.

The way I was e-raised was to believe in service packs. Always updating to the newest ones.
    SP2 is a LOT faster than SP3, even though SP3 was supposed to have a 10% performance increase on the CPU. But that didn't go through as planned. SP3 also had a lot of background problems that never really got fixed. (Mainly with Intel based CPU's)

And with that attitude towards service packs, you can pretty much apply towards anything.

Like upgrading to Vista. You'd think Vista should have been godly compared to XP (after years of advancement in technology), but we all saw how crappy it was in the beginning. Updates/Upgrades are never to be taken lightly.

Main reason. Microsoft can't physically test their updates on every brand of machine with every possible configuration there are these days. So you never know how things are going to react with yours.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

GParted + Ubuntu = win = partitions formatted = no more Windows = a better life.

Good day.

The Moogle

^This.

Most can't Linux though.