M-M-M Monster Member

Default freezing/slow computer

so my dad decided to finally buy parts and upgrade his old computer

dell dimension 8400
    Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
    windows xp sp2 32bit
    nvidia geforce gt 220
    3 gb ram

now, he's been complainin that its slow sometimes, and freezes that he needed to force shutdown. today i scanned it with MBAM, and bam 59 quarantine. i took care of that. i also scanned for viruses, norton didnt pickd up anything (i dont trust norton btw ) i clean out unnecessary files with ccleaner, and defragd it yesterday with auslogics.

i installed my mw2 on his computer awhile ago, i started playing the campaign with maxed out graphics and no sign of lag, works really great! love it.

but there are times while browsing, it slows down, takes time to load, and worse if there are multiple windows open.

anymore ways to boost the speed of this computer?
    i'd like to format it but dad didn't have recovery disks or OS disks.
    can't find any lol.

thanks in advance.
    dribbble.com/mjavier
    psyko is jelly.

Faulty hardware causes that,you prob getting memory licks,get a technician >.< your choice,well i work on my stuff alone but my brain can't function for other people's prob Oo fk drugs.

M-M-M Monster Member

Quote Originally Posted by shawn cenac View Post
    my brain can't function for other people's prob Oo fk drugs.
    lol thaswasup.

i'll check and see if i can update any new drivers for the new hardware and old today. but i think they were only updated from the CD installation that came with it. but i think those are out of date
    dribbble.com/mjavier
    psyko is jelly.

yea break those cd's and use update from the sites

1. Kill Norton, Norton is really hardware killer. You would see a big change after deinstall, if you need a good antivirus program, use Avast or Kaspersky.

2. Load the Program "WSUSOFFLINE" with that you can update your windows, if you need it.

3. If you would install a new Windows, so take care it's a Dell version. Dell devices only run with Dell significated Windows OEMs.

4. CCleaner is idiotic, brings in the most situations nothing. Go to the "Run" dialog in your startpanel and type "msconfig". Shutdown all services that you arn't use and controll your program startups and clean it by your hands.

5. You have a big RAM so use it! Configure your Swapfile to 0mb, your RAM is big enough to handle that and look inside the Box, if one from the RAMs has an other clockrate, space capicity or is from an other manufacture so put it out.

Retired

Coolspot is right about Norton. But the rest is all lies!

3: I have a dell computer. It'll run whatever OS you want it to run, as long as the hardware meets the OS minimum requirements.

4: CCleaner isn't idiotic. I use it on a monthly basis to clear out crap here and there.
    Usually I regain about 5GB from time to time.

5: You shouldn't disable the swap file. It's only used when you run out of RAM, and if you run out of RAM without a swap file, the computer would probably freeze or something.

Again, Norton is shit. I had it a few years ago. I ended up getting a virus and norton did nothing. It kept sending annoying popups about it but it left me to do the dirty work.
    Uninstalled it and moved over to Eset NOD32. I honestly didn't even know how fast my computer really was, and how much time I wasted using norton.

Spam Buster

Auslogics Boostspeed is the best program eva!!! for slow computers it's costs some moneys though.
    Honey Badger don't give a sh*t!

3: I have a dell computer. It'll run whatever OS you want it to run, as long as the hardware meets the OS minimum requirements.
    It may possible that exists some boxes from Dell, that would allow that. The most Dell systems i have fixed wouldn't take my WinXP SP2 CD. I installed WinXP SP2, but by booting the system ever a blue screen on 3 diffrent Dell machinetypes.

Uhm, it's really a dell computer? not only a dell case with changed hardware?

5: You shouldn't disable the swap file. It's only used when you run out of RAM, and if you run out of RAM without a swap file, the computer would probably freeze or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paging Wikipedia
    A few operating systems use anticipatory paging, also called swap prefetch. These operating systems periodically attempt to guess which pages will soon be needed, and start loading them into RAM. There are various heuristics in use, such as "if a program references one virtual address which causes a page fault, perhaps the next few pages' worth of virtual address space will soon be used" and "if one big program just finished execution, leaving lots of free RAM, perhaps the user will return to using some of the programs that were recently paged out".
    Source

You see, what you say is garbage^^. if you disable the swap file, programs would start in the first time slowlier, but in runtime comes the performance. A little question, How fast is your HD? Faster as the RAM? Don't think so.

You can found the files for swap in "C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH\" erease all, you would see, your machine would run without a problem.

In WinXP you have ever a swapfile, but in the standard config there is too big if you have enough RAM. My System runs with disabled swap file.

4: CCleaner isn't idiotic. I use it on a monthly basis to clear out crap here and there.
    Usually I regain about 5GB from time to time.
    CCleaner isn't so good as you think. The program is not particular enough in the registry. The 5gb that it kills, are the prefetch and temp files (for those things is the program nice) in your WinXP installation (Swap file). it's a usable support, but nothing goes over handwork^^

Linux Enthusiast

I've had my Swap Files disabled since just before Windows Vista came out, while I was on XP. And even now on 7 I keep them disabled.

Never once had any problems.

Norton isn't bad if your computer can handle it

And coolspot;

When you tried to install WinXP SP2, was it a slipstreamed disk? And if so did you slipstream the SATA and RAID drivers onto the disk manually? And if not did you make sure to turn off RAID and switch your SATA to IDE or AHCI in the BiOS?

Commonly overlooked problem there.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Nope. No SATA or RAID System installed on this boxes. I know the things with AHCI,IDE or RAID Mode. For me it seems ever like a compatibility or branding problem.

My XP is a WGA-less corporate with Postinstall SP2 integrated version.