network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Spot Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    528

    Default Upgrading my PC, Finally!

    Well I dont play games much on my PS3 and most games I do play I have on PC anyways so I decided to sell it all for 240, now the question is.... what one of these motherboards is a good choice?

    QUAD CORE AM3 Athlon?2 X4 Board Bundle with 2GB DDR2 Memory - Free Delivery : Motherboard / Processor Bundles : Maplin

    QUAD CORE Phenom? X4 Nvidia Board Bundle & 2GB DDR2 Memory - Free Delivery : Motherboard / Processor Bundles : Maplin

    I already have 4x 512mb ram DDR2 and I have a PCI-E Nvidia GeForce 9500 512mb Graphics Card.
    Last edited by Konkor; 05-06-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    Check my website out: Click Here

  2.    
  3. #2
    Spot Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Proxima Centauri
    Posts
    754

    Default

    I think they're both great...
    hard to choose.




  4. #3
    The Mighty Chimpoo
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    397

    Default

    DDR2 memory? i think its time for DDR3
    Well i guess since you already have other DDR2 sticks..

  5. #4
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patc15 View Post
    DDR2 memory? i think its time for DDR3
    Well i guess since you already have other DDR2 sticks..
    You wont notice an overall performance boost unless your computer is just THAT shitty.

    I'd wait for DDR3 prices to drop more before upgrading. Else you buy em, then next thing you know they're half the price and you're hitting yourself on the head.


    @OP

    Why buy a bundle? Better off getting the MOBO you want and then building on that. Unless you're going for cheap, which then I'd ask why upgrade :P If you're going to spend money on something, then do it right the first time and get what you want and what you need.
    Last edited by Negato; 05-06-2010 at 02:56 AM.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

  6. #5
    Oh NoeZ!!!!!.....
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deltona, Florida
    Posts
    1,958

    Default

    So this means i gotta delete you off my PS3's friend list?

  7. #6
    Spot Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    @OP

    Why buy a bundle? Better off getting the MOBO you want and then building on that. Unless you're going for cheap, which then I'd ask why upgrade :P If you're going to spend money on something, then do it right the first time and get what you want and what you need.
    Cause I am in college for like the next 3 years or so I have barely any income lol and I have been meaning to upgrade, if I buy just a MOBO I would need a processor and new ram and its just a mess lol its easier this way.But tbh I am not really bothered about the speed of the RAM I mainly just need a quad core seeing as my system now can run every game possible just my processor that brings it down, and I would love to play crysis on full :P

    @Leo: I know
    Last edited by Konkor; 05-06-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    Check my website out: Click Here

  8. #7
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konkor View Post
    Cause I am in college for like the next 3 years or so I have barely any income lol and I have been meaning to upgrade, if I buy just a MOBO I would need a processor and new ram and its just a mess lol its easier this way.But tbh I am not really bothered about the speed of the RAM I mainly just need a quad core seeing as my system now can run every game possible just my processor that brings it down, and I would love to play crysis on full :P

    @Leo: I know
    And this is what most people don't understand.

    Single = Ok
    Dual Core = Great
    Quad Core = Useless on a windows Machine. (Unless you're running Adobe CS3-5, and some other programs which I doubt you'd be using in college. Unless you're planning to go into CGI/CAD) Which is why the majority of the MAC's are running Quad and even 2*Quad (8) core's. Windows/M$ just haven't figured out how to make best use of them yet.

    Just because it's Quad or Dual core, doesn't mean the cores are being utilized. Most programs work from the first Core then move up to the 2nd/3rd/4th as it needs, which most don't. Now with Adobe CS products and a few other programs, you can actually control which core is going to be used to maximize performance. But aside from those, you honestly don't need more than a Dual core.

    Most games don't require any amount of cores over a single, and a few for Dual cores. But Quad core is still 'new' in a sense and not been utilized for the maximum performance they can bring to a computer.

    Unless of course, you're planning for future upgrades in which again, a bundle won't do you any good. There's a reason why those bundles are as cheap as they are. And as a hint, it's not because they're good. They're last gen products. buying the parts separately, while more expensive, will get you EXACTLY what you want without error and without headaches later down the road. Just save up but a part, save up more buy another part, etc, until you have all the parts then build your computer.

    Just my suggestion though, can always ignore it
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

  9. #8
    Spot Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    528

    Default

    You probably know alot more then I do about this sort of stuff lol but I am not ignoring your suggestion just I dont have the kind of money to be buying it all seperate or else I would do.

    But do you think the first one

    QUAD CORE AM3 Athlon?2 X4 Board Bundle with 2GB DDR2 Memory - Free Delivery : Motherboard / Processor Bundles : Maplin

    is okay for running say Splinter Cell: Conviction? and Crysis?, I really only want this for playing games and using photoshop and stuff.
    Check my website out: Click Here

  10. #9
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    270

    Default

    What I don't like about that board is there's only 2 slots for RAM which means you'd have a hell of a time upgrading past 4gigs unless they figure out a way to fit more than 2gb's per stick. Or at least make them affordable. Or start manufacturing more 4GB DIMMs.

    And while only having 2gigs of ram the game itself requires 1.5gb, and depending on your OS (Vista/7) will both require at least 1g to run with all the Aero features. So you'll most likely start lagging a little without being able to fit more ram on it.

    Try to find one with at least 4 slots, that'll ensure you can go to at least 4 gigs and 8/16 if needed.

    But yes, it'll run Conviction and Crysis
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

  11. #10
    Spot Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    What I don't like about that board is there's only 2 slots for RAM which means you'd have a hell of a time upgrading past 4gigs unless they figure out a way to fit more than 2gb's per stick. Or at least make them affordable. Or start manufacturing more 4GB DIMMs.

    And while only having 2gigs of ram the game itself requires 1.5gb, and depending on your OS (Vista/7) will both require at least 1g to run with all the Aero features. So you'll most likely start lagging a little without being able to fit more ram on it.

    Try to find one with at least 4 slots, that'll ensure you can go to at least 4 gigs and 8/16 if needed.

    But yes, it'll run Conviction and Crysis
    Yeah well I was going to buy an extra 2 Gig stick for 20 but I am going to go to the shop on monday and have a look around see if I can get something a bit better, thanks for the help dude.
    Check my website out: Click Here


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts