network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
    Retired

Default Installing ubuntu

Okay, so I just scrapped an old computer. Basically, the graphics card and mobo were... broken. It had about 512mb ram, so I figured, screw it. A friend of mine was going through it, and repairing it would cost about 150$.
    I told him I wanted to keep some stuff, i.e. the dvd burner and harddrive.

Now, I've been wanting to a third OS for a long time, but rather than installing it on my internal hard drives that are almost full up with... media content.
    How would I go on about installing ubuntu on the hard drive I have laying around?
    The harddrive is in one big partition, but I might split it in half when I format out all the old crap from it.

Would buying one of them USB docking stations be an option? I don't think there is any room left in my chassis really, so installing it wouldn't be an option. (plus I'm not too good with installing harddrives and stuff.)

The Moogle

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    Now, I've been wanting to a third OS for a long time, but rather than installing it on my internal hard drives that are almost full up with... media content.
    PR0NZ

If you can hook the drive up to a machine and access it, just use an Ubuntu CD to wipe the whole thing with the installer then install the system. It's actually incredibly easy.

Linux Enthusiast

Yup, it's fairly straight forward and done in a very clear and precise step by step manor.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Elite Poster

Ubuntu will pick up USB drives out-of-the-box and just backup your MBR had a few problems.

Spot Veteran

media content, eh?

Just plug in the HD to any other computer, download the latest Ubuntu ISO and put on a USB, plug in the USB and install
    Simple... Ubuntu setup will give you the option to scratch all the extra crap off the HD, and install a fresh Ubuntu

Spotter got spotted!

If it's a SATA hard drive I'm sure you'd be able to buy a USB docking station for it. They're only about €30 where I live. That'd be about $35-40. After you do that just connect it up to a working PC, boot the Ubuntu installer CD and tell it to use the entire HDD you have connected through USB. That way the HDD gets formatted before the Ububtu files are copied over. After that you'll be able to add partitions later on.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SpotterMan158 View Post
    If it's a SATA hard drive I'm sure you'd be able to buy a USB docking station for it. They're only about 30 where I live. That'd be about $35-40. After you do that just connect it up to a working PC, boot the Ubuntu installer CD and tell it to use the entire HDD you have connected through USB. That way the HDD gets formatted before the Ububtu files are copied over. After that you'll be able to add partitions later on.
    Add-on tip if you plan to run it permanently through a USB Dock station.

Make sure you get an Aluminum/Magnesium case, with good vents. (This goes for any computer parts/cases, if you can get it in Aluminum/Magnesium, do it. It's worth the extra buck)

Plastic is horrible when it comes to heat.
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)