network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Hoe Strangler

Default OS CD's question, answer please =)

So, I have a general question. Hope you peeps can help me out on this. But okay, I like messing around with computers and fixing them (software). Like if theres a virus, I'll find it manually and delete them. And such. But I have a question. I recently had to fix a desktop. And well, it had Windows XP Professional 32-bit.

So I was wondering, if I get my hands on a Windows XP Professional OS CD. I just find the serial product Key and boom its genuine? Cause I remember I tried to install Windows Home Edition, using the product key on the desktop, but it didn't go through. So I tried to use the key on my desktop. But it wouldn't load. (I know its a noobish thing, but I was curious.) So I was like, why wont it work? Now, I just wanna know, I tried using my Windows XP Home Edition CD on a desktop that had Windows XP Pro. And I tired using my Windows Home Edition key that came on my desktop. And It didn't work? Why is that? The Desktop wasn't even connected to the internet.

So now I ask, if I get a copy of (example) Vista Basic from a friend. His CD. And I have a Laptop with Vista Basic, and it has the product key on the bottom and its Vista Basic, will I be able to reinstall Vista Basic based off my friends CD? I ask because when I tried to install XP pro on the comuter I had, I tried the product key but it wouldn't load. So I seem to be puzzled.
    Answer please, thank you.

Reason for asking is cause I don't want to load/download a pirated version of any OS :P so yea, please answer, thanks soo much.

Oh and again, I ask for resource like I get many different types of computers Desktop/Laptops and I wanna have every Os I can have so when I need to reinstall An OS. I have my collection of OS CD's ready. I fix computers on the side, you know, trying to make some spare cash to downloads me some P0RNZ jk.
    Last edited by Project; 07-06-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Spotter got spotted!

I see what you mean... Well, the problem is obvious. If a license key is made fr a certain editin of a product (eg. Windows), then that license key won't work with any other edition of the same product. That's why XP Home Edition won't install with a key for Professional Edition. I recommend you either get your hands on an OS CD for XP Pro, or borrow your friend's Vista Basic CD and use the key on your laptop. Your desktop most likely came with an OS reinstall disc for XP Pro anyway.
    Hope this helps

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SpotterMan158 View Post
    I see what you mean... Well, the problem is obvious. If a license key is made fr a certain editin of a product (eg. Windows), then that license key won't work with any other edition of the same product. That's why XP Home Edition won't install with a key for Professional Edition. I recommend you either get your hands on an OS CD for XP Pro, or borrow your friend's Vista Basic CD and use the key on your laptop. Your desktop most likely came with an OS reinstall disc for XP Pro anyway.
    Hope this helps
    Problem with those recovery discs is that it reformats the ENTIRE drive. So it isn't an option for someone dual-booting.

But yes, as long as the license key is for the version you're trying to install. { Note: That key is not the key it shows in the System Properties window }
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Spotter got spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    Problem with those recovery discs is that it reformats the ENTIRE drive.
    The ones that came with my Dell Dimension and Inspiron always allow custom partitioning for me...

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SpotterMan158 View Post
    The ones that came with my Dell Dimension and Inspiron always allow custom partitioning for me...
    Dell cheats they don't count :<

*lookies at HP*
    PSP 1001 / 5.00 M33-6 (Loyal<3)

Spotter got spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by SillyBlade View Post
    Dell cheats they don't count :<
    *Reports post as spam*
    Dell do SO not cheat!

The Hoe Strangler

But heres the thing, I got a copy of Windows XP pro. It said was named as a retail copy too. And I tried to install it on a pc, a clean install and everything. But when I tired to put in the product key on the side on the computer. It said it was not a valid key. Why is that? The pc came with profesional too. So I had the key ready. So I ask, what kinda of Cd do I have to have? And OEM? Retail? VL? VOL? Like, I can't jut get any copy of Windows. So, you guys know what I mean?

Ultra Member

Franlky it doesn't matter what CD you have (I think) if the key has been used, I don't think it will work on that PC.

The Hoe Strangler

Quote Originally Posted by Dripz167 View Post
    Franlky it doesn't matter what CD you have (I think) if the key has been used, I don't think it will work on that PC.
    No, like, okay, my desktop came with Windows XP Home Basic. And It came with a Dell Windows Home Basic CD. The side on my desktop has the product key on it. Now, if I were to reinstall my Os. I load the CD in and it will be genuine. But if I get my hands on another copy of Windows XP Basic and try that CD, it will say not a valid key. I know wanna know why is that? Is it cause my copy of Windows is an OEM? Retail? Whats the difference between the Retail one? Or the OEM?

Spotter got spotted!

This is somewhat confusing. If you're desktop came with an OEM key and OEM install CD, then they're what you should use, unless you lost the CD. I remember I ran into a problem like this a few years ago. I tried to install XP Home on an old laptop that was running Windows 98. The installer wouldn't run, because ig said my license key was invalid, yet it worked on a different PC. I guess certain OEM CDs and license keys are made to only work wig certain PCs, or even only with certain OEM install CDs.