network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultra Member

Default Sony Frowns upon Kinect, says it "Feels right" to have something in your hand

Looks like Sony's getting serious about trying to discourage gamers and families from buying Microsoft's controller free 'Kinect'.

At a PlayStation Move technology showcase a week ago, Sony's senior researcher Richard Marks divulged that Sony actually did look into hands free technology using a camera (Eye Toy, anyone?), but it just didn't feel right.

Here's an excerpt from a interview of Marks about The PlayStation Move and Eye:

"So combining the two made a lot of sense. And also the big other factor that we were realizing at the time was that it feels good to have something in your hand for a lot of games. It's not just that it gives you more input capability, which it does. But also it just feels right. Like if you have a tennis racket it feels better to have a controller in your hand. If you have a magic wand, a sword, a gun, it all feels better."
    The future of gaming yields many innovative console gear, but is the world really ready for hands free gaming? How will this work out for the more hardcore gamers? Leave a comment below and share your opinion.
    Last edited by Dripz167; 07-27-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Spotter got spotted!

I know what they mean when they say it feels right to have a gun, tennis racquet or whatever in your hand when playing. BUT I did like EyeToy Play 1, 2 and 3. They were just great games. I don't see why Sony would want to stay away from controller-free gaming. Last time I checked, though, the PlayStation Eye had a few games that were nearly the same as they EyeToy. I'm sure they just said that for the usual reasons of stopping people from buying Kinect.

"It feels right to have something in your hand"

Spotter got spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by Babcock View Post
    "It feels right to have something in your hand"
    That part made me laugh too

Retired

Yeah, that and the shape of the magic wand...

By the way, good job on the news posting, Dripz

Spotter got spotted!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
    Yeah, that and the shape of the magic wand...
    Now THAT'S a completely different image!

Im sony all the way but for me I think both the PS Move and Kinect are freakin gay(for example the majority of the game they have for both) but the Move isnt as gay as Kinect

xD Lu Bu Jx

PsPs n' Ps3's RoCk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired

I think neither is gay. I think they both are ripping off the Wii.

What happened to regular gaming where you just sit with a controller in your hand and enjoy the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
    I think neither is gay. I think they both are ripping off the Wii.

What happened to regular gaming where you just sit with a controller in your hand and enjoy the game?
    Yea im with you on that lol PS basically stole the Wii's setup and just added a camera lmao

Also the reason I say their gay is because having a STANDARD controller in my hand is my way of gaming

xD Lu Bu Jx

PsPs n' Ps3's RoCk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Webmaster / Owner

I've always been a fan of the "standard" way of gaming, sitting down and playing the video game with the controller in my hand.. but I have to admit, some of the new games released with the use of the hands free technology are very innovative and can be entertaining for *some* games. Though still not my preferred choice, it is definitely an area the video game companies like Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft should explore, while also keeping in mind the "standard" way of gaming and allowing their users to have a choice for particular games. So in other words, using both methods, instead of picking one side over the other.