network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultra Member

Default Future PS3 updates to be reduced in size as a result of new 'Patch System'

Looks like Sony is taking a new approach to system updates. In the recent PS3 firmware update, Sony added an 'Incremental Download Patch', which will grant smaller firmware downloads for upcoming updates. With this feature, you only need to download the required parts to the update, rather than the whole thing, thus making downloads much smaller and faster.

The newest firmware, 3.41, only needed a fraction of the usual 100 ~ 200MB; 40MB, to function properly.

It's been a long time since I've updated my PS3, so after I'm up to date, I'll be looking forward to this nifty little feature.

Here's more details on the story:

Hidden away in the firmware update, Sony put a new incremental download patch in place, though the PS3 has always had this type of feature, this new incremental feature will now allow for smaller downloads. Previously, all firmware updates were incremental and they built off each other since the original firmware, but Sony has revised that concept and firmware updates will now only download what is needed from the latest firmware opposed to downloading the entire firmware. Firmware 3.41 only needed around 40MB of information, so the system only downloaded that much, opposed to 200MB of additional information from previous firmwares.

Spam Buster

This is great! Smaller downloads mean more game time!
    Honey Badger don't give a sh*t!

Retired

At last. I'm hoping this will cover the PSP too. The updates could be as small as 5MB I think, if they would use the same system.

Elite Poster

now only if Microsoft could do this

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by petfood56 View Post
    now only if Microsoft could do this
    Well, to me, when I was downloading an update, they go by really fast.

News Poster

Aww wtf I just downloaded the whole PS3UPDAT.PUP file and used it to upgrade.

Wasting ma download usage

Wut?

Thanks sony. I'm on a slow-ish DL speed, so this makes it better. The last update went by VERY fast. I was walking up the stairs to go to sleep as it updated, then took a double take when I saw it at 7% after a few seconds.

Oh NoeZ!!!!!.....

I did notice the quick update, but didn't pay any mind to it so just continued playing lol. This is much better. Now if they can only allow background downloading for the updates and then install it when you are done playing w/e game you were playing.

Sony is just awsome!!

Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by AZULCHIVA09 View Post
    Sony is just awsome!!
    No they are not. They just had an awesome moment.