network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    News Poster

Default Guide: How to Write a Game Review

1)Always give details, the more the better. Keep the reader interested with facts and thoughts without bogging them down with meaningless words. Remember the word "see" is better understood then "apprehend".

2)Voice is everything. If you like a game express it, if you hate it show it Don't fall into the neutral category.

3)Pictures, one picture could cause interest. You may have the best review in the world. But, like most six year olds people lose interest without them.

4)Honesty is key. Don't lie about your experiences. If you
    couldn't beat the game tell us. Give us details, not everyone
    wants a great game that takes 20 tries to beat the first level Ex: Contra 4.

5)Try not to compare a game with another out of its genre. Such as comparing Mario to Halo...it won't work, and doesn't add anything.

6)Independent games are just as important as Juggernauts. You may attract more people with a Gears review, but games like Shadow of the Colossus leave you with more room to work with. A game with a different take on a genre leaves you with a lot more to write about.

7)Understand what replay value is. A game you will only play through once can range from low-moderately high... depending on the quality. A game like COD4 which has you repeating online rankings would justify a high replay value.

8)All in all its just personal preference, so if you hate a genre keep away from reviewing games that fall under that category.

9)Popularity of a game shouldn't effect your review in any way. If you personally thought it didn't live up to the hype back it up with facts that would suggest that. Don't blindly accuse a game, because of its popularity. The marketing team is to blame for that not the developers.

10)Keep everything organized, so the reader can follow your thoughts easily. No spontaneous outbursts E.g talking about the sounds then quickly adding a sentence about the replay value.

11)Keep out unnecessary commentary. This would include what your imaginary friend thought about it, or what your "friend" was eating while you were playing.

12)Length is appreciated when writing a review, but don't overdue it or the review will be skimmed by many and read by few. Like this list

13)Grammar and spelling a must if you want the reader to understand you. Stay far way from slang, since it makes your review appear very unprofessional. I cannot stress this enough.

14)Make it yours.
    Last edited by reaperchad; 12-08-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Send me a PM if you have any news.

VIP Helper

lmfao great guide man ill definatley keep this in mind when i write my next guide

great guide

Banned

Superb you shouldnt have posted here nobody will be noticing it you should post it at General Discussion :up:

4.01m33 Beta Tester

dude your going to have to resize that picture or put it in a spoiler
    becuase that picture is too big
    other than that nice guide:up:

News Poster

Yeah I am going to fix that...my bad.

4.01m33 Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by reaperchad View Post
    Yeah I am going to fix that...my bad.
    its alright it happens to me too

Retired

Lmao. Great guide! :up:

News Poster

Pictures updated, and info to. If anyone has anything to add to the first post feel free to comment.

reddit/u/prof1t

Nice guide man!!!
    I just saw this now!
    noSIG?