network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Team Mudkip

Default How to Install Plugins

Alright a quick and easy guide on how to install plugins/homebrew. A big thanks goes to leo9891 for writing the part of the guide aimed at HEN users.

Sometimes you get a readme you can't understand or if haven't read the readme.txt go do that now, it should solve your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CONTENTS TABLE
    1. About .ZIP and .RAR files
    2. Files you find after extracting the .rar or .zip
    3. Actually installing the plugin
    4. Installing CXMB
    5. About .ZIP and .RAR files
    6. Activating the plugins
    7. Important info
    8. Leo's guide for HEN users (PSP 3000 or TA-88v3 users)
    About .ZIP and .RAR files
    Now when you download a plugin or homebrew you'll have this .zip or .rar file with all the files you need inside. Think of the .zip or .rar as the library and the files you need as all the books inside the library, you have to get in and then take out what you need.

Windows by default will be able to extract .zip files but download winRAR here:http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/wrar380.exe

but I use 7zip myself so if you would like that go here: Download

Files you find after extracting the .rar or .zip
    (here I'll be using the word "plugin" instead of a real name for a plugin)

Plugin.prx - the .prx is the actual plugin itself, it's what does the job

plugin_SRC - this is the source code, the stuff the developers use, sometimes they will want to make their work available to other developers who want to make changes so they include that too. Anything with "SRC" in the name generally means you won't need it if you aren't' a developer.

readme.txt - this is your set of instructions, the most valuable file right next to the plugin itself. It should tell you what to do, what not to do and how to install it.

images - sometimes people will put in screenshots of their plugins in

Actually installing the plugin

First check your readme, it will be the best source of information about your plugin aside from the developers website.

Connect your PSP to your PC and activate USB mode. Either do this from the settings menu or turn on your PSP while holding the right trigger, this will put you into recovery mode. Pick "toggle USB."
    Although this basic looking screen might look scary to the people are newbies, don't worry, it's meant to look pretty basic and just follow the instructions.

Let "Drive X" referred to as "X" be your PSP.
    Go to X:\seplugins if you do not have an seplugins folder, then make one.

Place your .prx file in X:\seplugins.

Create two notepad documents named "game.txt" and "vsh.txt" respectively within the seplugins folder.

In game.txt you write where the .prx is placed in other words, it's directory, if you want to plugin to work while you are playing a game.

An example:
    ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx 1
    ms0:/seplugins/music.prx 1
    ms0:/seplugins/RemoteJoyLite.prx 0
    In vsh.txt you write where the .prx is placed in other words, it's directory, if you want to plugin to work while you are in the main menu called the "XMB" (cross media bar).

An example:
    ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx 1
    ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx 1
    ms0:/seplugins/myBootLogo.prx 0
    ms0:/seplugins/vshmenu.prx 0
    ms0:/seplugins/RemoteJoyLite.prx 0
    ms0:/seplugins/AutoStart.prx 0
    ms0:/seplugins/hold.prx 1
    ms0:/seplugins/wpchanger.prx 1
    The numbers "1" and "0" mean "on" and "off" respectively so if there is "1" next to the directory of the plugin it means that plugin is currently turned on. If there is a "0" next to the directory of the plugin it means the plugin is currently turned off.

Installing CXMB
    Installing CXMB is a little bit different from other plugins because it all needs to go in a specific place. It's not any harder than install any other plugin so don't worry.

Place cxmb.prx in a folder named "CXMB" on the root of your memory stick. If you are a super newbie and don't know what "root" means it's the highest level in a file system. Say for example in C:\Windows\Whatever\More Stuff, C: is the root directory.

In vsh.txt write "ms0:/CXMB/cxmb.prx 1" without the quotations marks and you're done. Some other plugins may need you to put the .prx in a certain place so read the readme.txt

Activating the plugins
    There are two ways to do this:

Number 1
    Enter recovery mode, go to "plugins" and it should look something like this:

Please note I'm on GEN so my recovery menu will look a tiny bit different to someone on M33 but these differences don't affect this tutorial.

Now head down to the plugins menu and press "X"

And press "X" over the name of the plugin you want to turn on or off. You are now in the plugins sub-menu of the recovery menu. I've labeled this screenshot a bit to help clarify what everything means.

Note the separate entries for the same plugin in vsh.txt and game.txt, entering the plugin in one does not mean it will work in the other.

Number 2
    Activate USB mode and edit the vsh.txt and game.txt like in the examples above and then restart your PSP.

How to Install Plugins for HEN CFW Users
    Quote Originally Posted by leo9891's brain
    First you need to bring your PSP to 5.03 OFW, not 5.03 ChickHEN or 5.03 MHU or 5.03 GEN, just plain old 5.03 OFW.

Now just follow Akira's Guide like normal on installing the plugin into your PSP

When you reach the part where you have to edit a "Game.txt", "VSH.txt" or a "POPs.txt" you have to change one thing. When you add the line "ms0:/SEPLUGINS/blahblahblah.prx" you are going to add a number "1" at the end of that line. So it should look something like this, "ms0:/SEPLUGINS/blahblahblah.prx 1"

That "1" at the end will enable the plugin on your PSP. Now once you are done editing the txt file(s), you can disconnect your PSP via USB. Now you can load up ChickHEN and then load your HEN CFW of your choice, it can be 5.03 MHU or 5.03 GEN, this guide will work for both.

Once your HEN CFW is loaded, you should see that your Plugin is working and your done!

If you want to disable a plugin, you are going to have to go back on 5.03 OFW and edit the txt file(s) and change the "1" to a "0" (Zero, not a capital O). If you want to enable a plugin, do the same thing and just change the "0" to a "1"

Note: This guide did not harm any animals in its testing.
    Important info
    Some plugins will clash and your PSP may stop functioning, this is called a "semi-brick." The semi means its easy to fix so don't worry!

Go into recovery mode (remember turn on your PSP while holding the right trigger, coming out of sleep mode won't work) activate USB mode and delete what you think might be wrong.

Sometimes plugins will clash and start screwing up, do the same for this and do what you do as you would for a semi brick.

Oh NoeZ!!!!!.....

nice tut! many ppl checked it out but no responses... shame on you guys.

this is VERY useful for nubs, or just ppl who have been out of the PSP scene for a while and forgot some simple stuff. i think it should be stickied, if you add some pics to make it more easier (not that you made it easy enough lol) for nubs who don't like to read and just look at the pics... like a pop-up book! lol

Team Mudkip

I'd rather the newbies learn to read but if I can get some screenies in for clarification I think that would be good.

Thanks for being the first to comment

Oh NoeZ!!!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
    I'd rather the newbies learn to read but if I can get some screenies in for clarification I think that would be good.

Thanks for being the first to comment
    yes newbies have to learn how to read unfortunately...

w00t w00t!!!! first post! and your thread got sticked!!!!!

This does not make any sense to me....I do not understand it one bit...where do you put the two notepad documents and what is drive x is it the root of the momory stick..am sorry mate i am realy noobie can you revise it and maybe use pictures
    Last edited by juninho; 05-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Team Mudkip

Quote Originally Posted by juninho View Post
    This does not make any sense to me....I do not understand it one bit...where do you put the two notepad documents and what is drive x is it the root of the momory stick..am sorry mate i am realy noobie can you revise it and maybe use pictures
    Let "Drive X" referred to as "X" be your PSP.
    Go to X:\seplugins if you do not have an seplugins folder, then make one.

Place your .prx file in X:\seplugins.

Create two notepad documents named "game.txt" and "vsh.txt" respectively.

I can't really simplify it any further than that. X is your PSP. When you plug in a usb device it will either have a name or something generic made up such as "removable drive H" or "removable drive G" I use "Drive X" in the same sense.

It's easier than typing out Your PSP:\seplugins and I thought it would be clear from my starting sentence. I'll do some updates when I feel like it but now I have other stuff to worry about.

Ultra Member

Great guide. Isn't it time for Akira to be a VIP helper now?

okay so i have 5.00 M33-6
    i have the cmxb.prx plugin enabled
    but when i use a ctf it just brings me back to the original psp theme.
    help?

ah nevermind. some do work and others don't.
    :I
    i could still use some advice or tips on why this is happening...
    thanks

Oh NoeZ!!!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by dergil View Post
    okay so i have 5.00 M33-6
    i have the cmxb.prx plugin enabled
    but when i use a ctf it just brings me back to the original psp theme.
    help?
    Quote Originally Posted by dergil View Post
    ah nevermind. some do work and others don't.
    :I
    i could still use some advice or tips on why this is happening...
    thanks
    ok when you install CXMB, it should look like this

(this is where your cxmb plugin goes. not in the seplugins folder)
    ms0:/CXMB/cxmb.prx

(this is where your vsh.txt file goes. not in the cxmb folder)
    ms0:/SEPLUGINS/vsh.txt

(this is what your vsh.txt file should look like)
    ms0:/CXMB/cxmb.prx 1

^^^^^copy that line into your vsh.txt and now it will be enabled and now all you have to do is select a theme

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast