network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default [Tutorial] Quickly Change 5.00/5.50 with CXMB

The goal here is to easily switch between 5.00m33 and 5.50gen while keeping cxmb and any other firmware specific plugins loaded independantly of each firmware.

In this pack you will find Flash_Loader, NandManager, and a customized CXMB

I have simply hex edited cxmb to have unique cxmb.prx, support folder and conf.txt so that each firmware loads the proper files it needs.

How this works

First, copy the contents of the zip file to your memorystick.
    Next edit ms0:/seplugins/vsh.txt and delete the ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx 1 line or change 1 to 0 to disable loading cxmb from this seplugins folder because we will be loading this from flash0 at the end.

Now while in 5.00m33 run Flash Loader from game menu. This will modify psbtn files and add an seplugins folder to flash0 where we can have it load our plugins.
    Now once back to xmb, enable flash0 via USB and edit the vsh.txt in seplugins folder to say
    ms0:/cxmb/cxmb500.prx 1

This will enable the cxmb for 5.00 to load upon bootup and use the suppor5 and con5.txt file for loading ctf files.

Now when you reboot, your psp probably won't have a custom theme loaded because of the ctf name in con5.txt. So go to System - Themes - and pick a theme to make sure it works.

If it works Now start up Nand Manager and press Square to dump nand. *Don't worry if you get a message saying bad block detected. I get one every time while reading and writing. Once that process is finished exit back to xmb, enable USB for your memory stick and go to nanddump folder and rename the nand-dump*******.bin to be 5.00m33.bin

Good job..first half done...

Now install 5.50gen A then install gen B update.

If you payed attention to the first half of the procedures then you can probably figure out what needs to be done.

Now while in 5.50gen-b run Flash Loader from game menu. This will modify psbtn files and add an seplugins folder to flash0 where we can have it load our plugins.
    Now once back to xmb, enable flash0 via USB and edit the vsh.txt in seplugins folder to say
    ms0:/cxmb/cxmb550.prx 1

This will enable the cxmb for 5.50 to load upon bootup and use the support and conf.txt file for loading ctf files.

Now when you reboot, your psp probably won't have a custom theme loaded because of the ctf name in conf.txt. So go to System - Themes - and pick a theme to make sure it works.

Here's where it gets tricky...since cxmb lists ALL themes in the psp\theme folder, you will see both 5.00 and 5.50 themes...if you select a ctf for the wrong firmware, your psp will reboot and you will see the default xmb and probably say 'wtf SchmilK this didn't work' Well be smart and choose a 5.50 ctf or edit conf.txt and put in the name of the 5.50 theme you want to load.

If it works Now start up Nand Manager and press Square to dump nand. *Don't worry if you get a message saying bad block detected. I get one every time while reading and writing. Once that process is finished exit back to xmb, enable USB for your memory stick and go to nanddump folder and rename the nand-dump*******.bin to be 5.50gen.bin.

Congratulations...now you can swap between firmware in under 2 minutes.

If you use ultimate vshmenu from total_noob, then you should disable it from the vsh.txt on memorystick and put it on flash0 in 5.00m33 because it WILL cause 5.50gen to crash.

That's about it. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SchmilK; 08-30-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Unknown

i made a tutorial kinda like this. But with Gen/A....... Nand manager is COOL!!!
    Last edited by Kalitrius; 08-30-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Elite Poster

cool thanks im about to install gen on my system

Also known as:
    cryphakon
    badboy.mjk
    kempmjk

XMB Creator

Very nice tutorial and very kind of you to actually hex edit the files. I know some people will be using this tutorial. I on the other hand have not yet thought of any reason to swap to 5.50, but I will use it when the time calls. Once again a very nice and a pat on the back for you.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kraymah View Post
    i made a tutorial like this. Nand manager it cool!!!
    ah yes, sort of...but for those people who want to get on 5.50gen to see the new animated themes, this goes the extra mile

VIP Member

Default Error Message Using NAND Manager

Hi all.

I have done the steps until the part when I want to dump the 5.50 GEN-B... When I tried to run NAND Manager in 5.50GEN-B, the following error message occurs "Error: pspSdkLoadStartModule() = 0x80080146 Error: Could not start module kmod.prx" What am I doing wrong? Help anyone? I need to use both CFWs... 5.00M33-6 for my Emulators and 5.50GEN-B for Madden 2010... Thanks in advance... FYI... I had also followed the tutorial by kraymah earlier on before Schmilk's and got the same error...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by roadz2ruin View Post
    Hi all.

I have done the steps until the part when I want to dump the 5.50 GEN-B... When I tried to run NAND Manager in 5.50GEN-B, the following error message occurs "Error: pspSdkLoadStartModule() = 0x80080146 Error: Could not start module kmod.prx" What am I doing wrong? Help anyone? I need to use both CFWs... 5.00M33-6 for my Emulators and 5.50GEN-B for Madden 2010... Thanks in advance... FYI... I had also followed the tutorial by kraymah earlier on before Schmilk's and got the same error...
    Try to reset your system defaults...maybe an error on flash1?

Also after that your emulators will probably run The only homebrew (besides 1.50 kernels) that i can't run in 5.50 is hellcat's recovery flasher

Thank you. I appreciate it.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by SchmilK View Post
    Try to reset your system defaults...maybe an error on flash1?

Also after that your emulators will probably run The only homebrew (besides 1.50 kernels) that i can't run in 5.50 is hellcat's recovery flasher
    Sorry Schmilk...

Doesn 't work... Set default system settings and formatted flash1 and reset settings... NAND Manager still pops error message and the Emulators for SNES ans Neo Geo doesn't run on 5.50... Sigh... Any other ways?

Spot Veteran

It's a bit tricky but can you simplify to me what does it can do with respect to cfw and cxmb. I can't understand what this application can do with my psp? I'm confused. can you enumerate what helpful things it can give to us theme creators? As I understand you can switch between 2 firmwares (5.00 and 5.50) right? can I switch even without pandora?

The BEST thing that I like in Custom Firmware is that it can use custom themes unlike in Official Firmware. If official firmware can use ctf themes I'll switch to Official Firmware.

For CTF themes for 5.00m33, 5.03GEN, 5.50GEN-D3 and other Tutorials please visit my PAGE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast