network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PSP will die soon if they don't make psp2 to compete with the 3DS and people will stop buying any kind of psp 3000 or Go wouldn't sony lose a fair bit of money cuz of people downloading games i have seen psp games are really cheap but people do still download them but im not sure just my opinion ?

PSP2002-3.60 OFW>3.71m33-2>5.00m33-4>5.00m33-6 best m33 ever>5.50GEN-D2>5.50GEN-D3 latest GEN rules>
    PSPGEN FOREVER

Spot Veteran

I agree with Sessler, he is very knowledgeable when it comes to games. What I mean is, he has done his research. Things right now aren't looking too good for the PSP, so I think unless Sony wants to make a 3dPSP, or something like that then it really would be a lost cause. I think that if Sony gave us a tool for creating homebrews, kinda like the iPhone and Droid and that then it would get people away from CFW and stop some of the pirating. I mean if Official FW was great and ran homebrews without a hitch, I would upgrade. And I pirate my PSP games... :\ if that helps prove my point.

Basically what I'm saying is unless Sony wants to throw down tons of cash and make a 3DPSP, or make Official FW's run Homebrews, Then making a PSP2 is a lost cause.

Wanna request a sig click the [X]

VIP Member

Default My opinion

00000Truth be told I do feel that all sony tends to do is just dust any issue under the rug, in other words their solution to every problem is just to create a new device or service and hope people forget about the other ones. They put higher prices on things leading you to believe there is more to them than the past items which in most cases is false or rather minor alterations that can be done with the right plugins. All that is ever needed to be done are fixes to the errors that bug people, it's simple but sony tends to take the "easier or lazier" path. Yes money does play into those factors but it's worth it to fix them because you stand a chance at higher sales if people like your products more. If the PSP2 or even 3 were to come out on the market I have doubts in the sales besting the 3DS or any other device on the market.

00000Not to say the PSP isn't a fun system, it is and there are many things that make it a golden device but the sad part is that it's fame is more based on user mods and hacks and not the factory built options. The PSP is a good device and can do many things outside of the box but it's due to it's inflexible nature it's better to alter it. I will admit that I did use an R4 on my DS lite however I gave it up because my PSP did the same functions if not better. When I got my DSi this year I originally wanted to get a HB cart for it but never saw the need for it as I can do anything I want via the built in hardware. Truth be told my PSP is only being used an occasional gaming device, I've even installed the latest firmware on it so now it's just a normal PSP, I can downgrade it but I don't use it enough anymore to see the point.

00000Perhaps I will in the future but as of right now I don't want to. The only thing I did get for my DSi was the iPlayer for videos because I like to watch them on any portable I own also being a VAP major is another reason for that. If the rumors are right about the 3DS having video playback then my iPlayer is useless as well I suppose. If it has a text editor that'd be great as well. I went to Gamestop this afternoon and I always used to be thrilled about the new PSP games and then have some fun tinkering around with the used units because I loved the system so but today my zest for that feeling just isn't there anymore.

00000When I look at the PSP all I see is just another system, nothing special or unique as I felt it was before, heck I spent more time today trying to get a good deal on batteries for my VMU. Well at some point I might fall back in love with the PSP but at this point we're just trying it apart for a while you could say. So if a PSP2 were to come out I think I'd find it interesting but aside from that I don't feel committed to buy it.

Elite Poster

Didnt the NDSi and DsiXL just come out???
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish
    PLUH!!!!!

VIP Member

00000I thought the DSi had been out for a while and then the XL recently came out but I could be wrong. Wasn't it developed in 2008? Either way I got my DSi only this year in April to be exact. I wasn't making the assumption that it had been out for a long time or anything, sorry about that. Plus I could be wrong about the PSP not being able to match up in sales with the newer system because we don't know the future, I just don't think it will personally.
    Last edited by Darksidehearts; 08-04-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Details, details, details....

Spot Veteran

I agree with Darksidehearts, I mean come on, the 3DS already has huge developers making games for it. For example, The remake of MGS3. Who would wanna play as snake in one of the best MGS games, and with the 3D effect, not to mention better graphics that look way better than the original PS2 version. Nintendo focuses on what the people want and family friendly, Playstation focuses on gaming and multimedia. Since Nintendo actually listens to what people want and try their best to give it to us, they will win in the long run, even without all the flashy graphics and sleek looking consoles/handhelds.

Wanna request a sig click the [X]

VIP Member

Default History does teaches a lesson in some cases

00000May I turn a page in history for a moment and reference the Dreamcast entry? Now granted Sega and sony are different companies and are in no way equals in the way they do or did business dealings. It was more than obvious that the Dreamcast was not going to survive in the market of advancing technology, even if they did adapt the unit to conform to the newer age of gaming it would have cost Sega an arm and a leg let alone risk of sales not picking up again. People had already gotten a taste of this new technology with the PS2, it's clear that people wouldn't flock back the the Dreamcast. Sure the improvements would interest people and many might buy into it but for how long?

00000As time goes on a system needs to be able to handle the changes, if it's not in the hardware you either adapt or build anew. The downside to adaptation is that it won't be as good as it was to begin with, it will handle the new market but it's inconveniences the user by making you spend more on newer parts. It's the same process with a car, you can only repair it to a certain point but eventually everything will need to be replaced which is why it's wiser to trade in for another. On the other side you risk people not returning to buy the new unit because of what they have seen in the competition, which would hurt the bottom line in sales and have financial repercussions. Sega chose to accept it's fate and fall back on the sword and admit defeat, they were no longer going to make a system but stick to games.

00000Even though most Sega-made games are debatable in quality as they range from good to really bad, the point is that they survived by their decision. Sony is basically shoving around a dying animal and asking you to envision it as vibrant and living. Until they come up with something innovative like what they did back in 2005, something to really separate them from the pack I doubt that the PSP will be able to stand up to the new age of technology. In other words sony needs to either accept defeat or come up with a valid strategy and stop this dance. Either way the current system's fate is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksidehearts View Post
    00000May I turn a page in history for a moment and reference the Dreamcast entry? Now granted Sega and sony are different companies and are in no way equals in the way they do or did business dealings. It was more than obvious that the Dreamcast was not going to survive in the market of advancing technology, even if they did adapt the unit to conform to the newer age of gaming it would have cost Sega an arm and a leg let alone risk of sales not picking up again. People had already gotten a taste of this new technology with the PS2, it's clear that people wouldn't flock back the the Dreamcast. Sure the improvements would interest people and many might buy into it but for how long?

00000As time goes on a system needs to be able to handle the changes, if it's not in the hardware you either adapt or build anew. The downside to adaptation is that it won't be as good as it was to begin with, it will handle the new market but it's inconveniences the user by making you spend more on newer parts. It's the same process with a car, you can only repair it to a certain point but eventually everything will need to be replaced which is why it's wiser to trade in for another. On the other side you risk people not returning to buy the new unit because of what they have seen in the competition, which would hurt the bottom line in sales and have financial repercussions. Sega chose to accept it's fate and fall back on the sword and admit defeat, they were no longer going to make a system but stick to games.

00000Even though most Sega-made games are debatable in quality as they range from good to really bad, the point is that they survived by their decision. Sony is basically shoving around a dying animal and asking you to envision it as vibrant and living. Until they come up with something innovative like what they did back in 2005, something to really separate them from the pack I doubt that the PSP will be able to stand up to the new age of technology. In other words sony needs to either accept defeat or come up with a valid strategy and stop this dance. Either way the current system's fate is inevitable.
    You brought up some really great points and I agree somewhat. I don't think it comes down to being innovative, it doesn't have the be the most creative approach. Look at Nintendo. The tried and true setup of the Gameboy has remained largely unchanged except for a few upgrades here and there. They are proving that you don't need the greatest hardware to really succeed.

Sidenote --I think the parallel you drew between the Dreamcast is a tad off though. The DC did come in late (pretty much at the end of both N64 and PS1's lifecycle) and it was the competitor to the PS1 not the PS2.--

Anyways the thing that sets Nintendo apart from the competition is that they make games that people actually want to play, and they make them en-masse. Every time a console developer stepped up against a Nintendo handheld, they were completely crushed. Game Gear, Neo Geo were both technically superior to Nintendo's counterpart. The thing that held them back was lack of games to play while Nintendo put out title after title. The PSP is even powerful enough to emulate the DS itself, and has a ton of other functions to boot. Am I saying that all PSP games are trash? Heavens no. The thing I'm trying to get across is as long as Sony puts little to no support toward the PSP in terms of software content, Nintendo will always be ahead. I can count on one hand with how many decent PSP games there are each quarter. I can't necessarily say the same about the DS.
    Last edited by bigbossVII; 08-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.

VIP Member

00000Oh I know it was a competitor for the PS1, but what I was saying was that the DC wouldn't have made it into the gaming future with newer technology beginning to be made. At the time it was king due the the other units phasing out. The PS2 along with other systems were a contributing factor in what ended the DC's run.
    Last edited by Darksidehearts; 08-06-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fancifying text is better than leaving it bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksidehearts View Post
    00000Oh I know it was a competitor for the PS1, but what I was saying was that the DC wouldn't have made it into the gaming future with newer technology beginning to be made. At the time it was king due the the other units phasing out. The PS2 along with other systems were a contributing factor in what ended the DC's run.
    I don't know, I think Sega would have made a decent dent in the other Big 3 had they kept going. It was really popular, they just needed that killer app. They did have some momentum, but they were well ahead of their time though. Graphics wise, some DC games were on par or better than the PS2 graphics though. I think it was a premature death but eh. And a little under 10 years after the DC has been axed, the homebrew community is still pretty strong surprisingly. Its kinda funny when developers make hardware that is alot stronger than what the intended use is for.