network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sketchy

Default CSpotHighlight: Prototype

The last time we heard about Prototype was its halt in production after the merger. Publisher Activision was deciding what games to keep and the ones to scrap. Luckily for all of us Prototype was kept. Although through the dark period it suffered a delay as well as not shedding a bit of light on its production for a latter of many months. As did so many other Sierra titles. Since then the sandbox genre had been missing many key elements to its success. Only a few sandbox titles were able to keep us entertained without the needs re-using the same run and gun style as the GTA series. Prototype has its own unique element among us as an amazing sandbox title that is set to delver. By combing both aspects of shooters and the superhero chao. Prototype may be one of the very few multiplat titles that could make itself Game Of The Year.

Prototype is a story about a man named Alex Mercer. A man who happens to fall victim to some insane mans experiment turning Alex into a shape shifting mutant. He sets out to to find out about his past and where he came from. While roaming the streets of New York City, he learns about a virus that is set to hinder the city under one mans control. Citizens in the infected areas of the city have experienced mutations, forcing military action. Upon seeing what Alex can do all military personal are ordered to capture him alive or dead.

There is a large list of ability's the player can use. Stealth allows the player to morph into any enemy/civilian the players comes in contact with. By just simply sneaking up towards an enemy the player can grab hold of that enemy and absorb their enemy form gaining them a upper edge upon any enemies near by. Defend abilities in this category allow the player to grab hold of any item, ground, or just about anything near by and morph it into whatever shape they would like to defend themselves from enemies near by. A simple taxi car can be morphed into a wall in seconds. Attack has a wider arrange of abilities for the player. You can punch, kick, slide, stomp, even use melee weapons found in ally ways. But of course like everything else you have theres a twist. I won't go into all the features that are in attack but be certain there's to many to really list.

What has the last year been like for Prototype team in light of the big merger and uncertainties in regards to having a publisher?

"We've had a big year-no doubt about it. Even without the events of the past 12 months happening around us, we would have had a challenging time simply because of the scale of Prototype. We're now somewhat heading into the homestretch with the game planned to launch this summer, so its definitely nice to be moving from "hard work" to "hard work plus a little fun add in" now that we are back out there showing off the game in action."

What is it about Prototype that helped it survive the Activision merger when other games were cut loose?

"I think there were probably a few contributing factors. First off was the amazing level of support it had gamered from the video game press and fans prior to the merger, so that's defiantly something we truly appreciate. The fact that we're offering something different from the typical "Hero saves the day" scenario also makes Prototype interesting- the chance to play an anti-hero where nothing is black and white. Finally, I think that we've got something unique with the level of visceral, balls-to-the-wall action that you just typically don't see in games nowadays. "

In our original story on Prototype, the game was said to feature two player co-op, only to have Radical announce that wasn't going to be the case. Has the extra development time allowed you to reintegrate this feature?

"Unfortunately, the answer is still no. as we announced last year, we're focusing Prototype solely on the core single player experience. Besides the game is to large to integrate such a feature."

Are there any features you have added to the game with the extra time?
    "Yes, definitely. its been a Phenomenal Opportunity to continue to hone and polish Prototype's fundamentals. We've added to the range of Alex's over the top locomotion abilities to include things like "gliding". Additionally jacking vehicles like the Apache Helicopter can now be done via unlocking an upgrade to Alex's tentacle-like "whipfist" power. We've also been able to really put some key focus into the game's side missions like the events that happen outside of the core story are experience. One of my favorite events is where Alex finds a grenade launcher with unlimited ammo and has to withstand an al-out infected assault for 60 seconds."

Rumors spread across the Internet that Prototype was being adapted to a more traditional superhero property like Spiderman. was this ever the case?

"No, Prototype has always remained firm to its goal of delivering an over the top action game with an anti-hero at its core. I think the world of Prototype and Spiderman in terms of flavor, morals, and choices are best kept separate from each other."

What did you think of the recent Incredible Hulk movie game that may have taken a few things from Ultimate Destruction (Radicals 2005 hit)? Hell, even the film stole your car-metal boxing gloves
    "It was really cool to see that up on the big screen. Our designers and animators were amazed. I think this clearly shows how games can influence movies. to some degree, rather than exclusively the other way around. by the way, since we're on the subject, we'd love to collaborate on a movie based on Prototype...any takers?"
    Interview Source via: Gameinformer

Playstation 3 | Xbox 360 | PC
    Release: Summer
    Last edited by Sketchy; 02-28-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Sketchy

*Note*
    I'm aware this is in the CSpot news section. Theres no front page forum for Multiplatform news. If its created I'll move it.

*Second approval by Gman*
    Last edited by Sketchy; 02-27-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Retired

lol
    First I was like WTF? Why is this in Site News?
    But now I didn't have to say that

Helping Joker

this is 2 awesome

Sketchy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    lol
    First I was like WTF? Why is this in Site News?
    But now I didn't have to say that
    Yeah..I hope to move it from here to a hopefully created Multiplatform News forum. It needs front page appeal or it will just rot in the "Post Gaming News Here" Forum.

I hope to start this off as a series and post one once a week.

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Yeah..I hope to move it from here to a hopefully created Multiplatform News forum. It needs front page appeal or it will just rot in the "Post Gaming News Here" Forum.

I hope to start this off as a series and post one once a week.
    The multiplatform news problem will be solved. Although I'm not in a real position to say much about it right now. (Evolve's gonna kill me for saying this, haha )

Anyway, nice job on the article. I have a few questions though, I put them in a spoiler so it wouldn't clutter the comments...

Minister of Magic
    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

definitely worth the time reading... dang this is the first time i've heard of this... (sigh. smithees is living under a rock) i cant wait to play it (when i get my ps3, that is.)

Very well done, Sketchy. Hopefully we can get the Multi-platform News section up soon.

Nice job once again.

Spot Veteran

I might get this game.

This game is gonna be amazing. I played the floor demo at NYC Comic Con a few weeks back. it's Fluidity is unbelievable, it's an instant change from free roaming, Running and Gunning and just over all destruction. It's great! the only issue now... is deciding on what platform to get it on... PS3 or XB360?