network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator

Default Zune HD/Previous Models Hacked

So It seems the folks over at zuneboards have managed to hack the newest model of the zune family as well as the previous ones.
    Until recently, writing applications for the Zune meant one thing: XNA. While the XNA game development platform aims to provide a framework that makes game development accessible to the masses, on the Zune this translates to no 3D, no Internet access, and a performance penalty of around an order of magnitude - all when the hardware is right there.
    That’s about to change. Through the work of myself as well as Netrix, Nurta, and the rest of the ZuneBoards Development Front, all Zune models, including the Zune HD, have been hacked. The first true hack available for the Zune, this makes it possible to, for the first time, run applications directly on top of the Zune firmware, with full access to everything XNA withheld before. The limitations of XNA are now no limitations at all.

As OpenZDK has just been released, few apps have yet been built on it. While only time will tell what developers actually create, the door to emulators, homebrew 3D games, ports of classic games, app stores, and much more has now been opened. Developers are encouraged to post their OpenZDK applications at the new dedicated forum on ZuneBoards - conventional XNA applications will continue to inhabit their own forum.

This initial release of OpenZDK is primarily intended to give developers a starting point for building next-generation applications. However, we have published an OpenZDK Quick Start Kit that includes example programs that you can try right now, including a 3D demo that offers a small taste of what hardware-accelerated 3D graphics have to offer.

Getting started guides are available for end users and interested developers. You can download the Quick Start Kit right now from the list of mirrors. If you have a BitTorrent client installed, the torrent-based download is strongly recommended - the more people that download, the higher the speed. However, numerous mirrors are available to download through more conventional methods.

The Zune Dev Wiki is at the center of the storm, so make sure to check it frequently as the launch progresses today.
    For more info visit the official source provided below:
    source
    zunedevwiki

Spot Veteran

Sounds nice
    I hope this can bring some competition to iPod Touch/ iPhone/iPad users

Ultra Member

What competition? Not being a fanboy and all, but I never hear anything the zune, but hopefully that's about to change.

Now hopefully they can play 360 games on it

Spot Veteran

I know there's no competition, but i think that the zune has so much more potential than the iTouch
    Microsoft actually uses that potential, unlike apple

Retired

I doubt any sort of competing will emerge.

Just think of all the iPhone killer phones, that supposedly were going to beat the iPhone in all sort of ways.
    They all failed, even though there are some really good ones.

Spot Veteran

There are definitely 'Apple competitors' that ARE better than apple products, but apple just steals the limelight