network sites: arcadespot.com | animejolt.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default How to Repair the Xbox 360's "Red Ring of Death"

How to Repair the Xbox 360's "Red Ring of Death"

Hey guys I was just browsing youtube when I stumble across these very helpful videos on how to repair the red rings of death on the xbox 360. It's been out for quite some time now, but I thought it would be very useful to have it on our site. Here we have 3 videos that show you what you'll need to do in order to do this repair step by step. I also included the Repair Guide in the attachment.

Before we jump to the good stuff, here's a word from the uploader:

This video describes how to fix the 3 red light error or as it is more commonly referred to; the "Red Ring of Death". You should be aware of one thing before using this video. This fix utilizes a kit sold by Free Xbox 360 Repair Guides | Kits For Xbox 360 Repair. The fix does not require that you drill your case, thus the kit requires specific thickness washers and specific length screws. Again, this fix uses only the kit from Free Xbox 360 Repair Guides | Kits For Xbox 360 Repair Well, enjoy the videos and good luck. If this video helped you fix your Xbox 360 please consider a donation. Follow this link Xbox 360 Repair Guide Videos... Whatever amount you think is fair would be fine. Thanks in advance.

Video #1 - Opening the Case

Video #2 - Preparing For The X-Clamp Fix

Video #3 - Installing The X-Clamp Kit

This download contains the repair guide in a .pdf format. Hope this was helpful for someone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by darkfairy; 05-03-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Special Task Force Unit

Keep in mind this isn't a 100% success rate fix, and it voids the console's warranty, if applicable.

Now for a personal opinion: To fix it, you don't even need the kit they sell.

I got an E74 System Error a couple months ago, ended up shipping it into to their repair center. But I hear that the new Xbox 360 consoles are "RROD-Free".

Special Task Force Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Modified View Post
    I got an E74 System Error a couple months ago, ended up shipping it into to their repair center. But I hear that the new Xbox 360 consoles are "RROD-Free".
    Virtually, yes. Jasper boards require less power, and thus generating less heat.

I have X-ray glasses

From experience this fix is good, not great since it again isn't 100% because sometimes it's actually the GPU that's fried due to overheating multiple times. If you do this repair I suggest upgrading the fans or adding in additional ones to combat the heat even further. Most upgrades require little to no external case modification, heck if you need practice there's plenty of "as is" consoles on ebay to test out on

to me....this bolt and washer method alot of people use is nothing but a waste of time, cause all it just doing is squeezing down the processor and GPU...as soon as heat take place and forces the solder to get squashed, it will return to the same problem and this time....render the 360 useless.....all my 360's I repair, i put bqack the xclamps cause there is nothing wrong with the xclamps.....the xclamps work perfect.....the problem is not the xclamps...it is the cheap solder and the thin PCB M$ uses....the xclamps is what I consider the best hardware ever made by such a crummy company named Microsoft.
    Professional modifications available in Trinidad and Tobago.
    We mod more than just consoles....
    Ps2: v7 modified with original matrix infinity with 1.93 fw with my nickname on the logo
    2nd ps2: v7 modified with Mars ProGM816HD
    Wii: D2E drive with sunkey pro (2.01D)
    Logitech Z5500 with modified amp and 10" ID sub and box tuned to 32hz
    PSP: modified with 5.50GEN-B with PS3 custom theme.

Hi,

I first of all... hello new to this forum....This site looks intressting.... my friend found this site when when we softmodded his Wii. :-D
    After I registered I found Xbox360 section... Good... need some help with mine with ROD.

So I done x-clamp fix with brief success, it work for awile until I came home... ROD again! :-(

I have seen a few guides out there...
    The one here is simular to the ones out there.

I have put the screws with metal and rubber wachers, the rubber one against the m/b.
    Some guides tell that one should make the houles bigger in the metall case, which I also have done. Did the baking as instrukted.... got mine the boot after a few hours of trying.
    But ofcourse not a long lasting repair! :@

What might be wrong?

Is it better to put the screw thrue the metall case?
    Didn't try that before I widened the houls... but I have borrowed my friends ROD xbox to try that to!

Soon that thing will either say hello to my nice hammer... :-p

Thx, hope someone can help! :-)

/CRz