network sites: arcadespot.com hey | games
+ Reply to Thread
    News Poster

Default Hackers warn: Do NOT update Xbox 360, full homebrew exploit coming!

********** wrote:

"In rather huge news, we have received an email from the respected developers of the Free60 project who indicate that users should NOT update their 360's with the Summer update. Despite the update being dangerous as it overwrites the first stage bootloader, it will also block out a homebrew hack that the team are planning to release. So DON'T UPDATE!!!

Here is the email we received:

[size=x-large]Dangerous Xbox 360 Update Killing Homebrew[/size]

On Tuesday, Microsoft has released an Xbox 360 software update that overwrites the first stage bootloader of the system. Although there
    have been numerous software updates for Microsoft's gaming console in the past, this is the first one to overwrite the vital boot block. Any failure while updating this will break the Xbox 360 beyond repair.

Statistics from other systems have shown that about one in a thousand bootloader updates goes wrong, and unless Microsoft has a novel
    solution to this problem, this puts tens of thousands of Xboxes at risk.

It seems that this update is being done to fix a vulnerability already known to the Free60 Project. This vulnerability has been successfully exploited to run arbitrary code, and a complete end user compatible hack has been in development for some time and is planned to be released on free60.org shortly. It will allow users to take back control of their Xboxes and run arbitrary code like homebrew applications or Linux right after turning on the console and without the need of a modchip, finally opening up the Xbox 360 to a level of hacking as the original Xbox.

Because of the dangerousness of the update and the homebrew lockout, the Free60 Project advises all Xbox 360 users to not update their systems to the latest software version. The Project website at Main Page - Free60 Project will provide the latest information on this ongoing topic, including the final hack software.

Free60 (Main Page - Free60 Project) is a project that aims to enable Xbox 360 users to run homebrew applications and operating systems like Linux on their consoles. The effort is headed by Felix Domke and Michael Steil, who have a background in dbox2, Xbox and GameCube hacking, and who have spoken at various conferences about their findings. Two years ago, Free60 released a hack that allowed arbitrary code execution using a game ("King Kong Hack") as well as an adapted version of Linux, but this possibility has been disabled by Microsoft in
    subsequent updates of the Xbox 360 software.

Felix and Michael have repeatedly argued that game console manufacturers should open up their platforms to Linux and homebrew, similar to what Sony has done with the PlayStation 3."

source

Sig by Mr_Nick666

XMB Creator

fudge i updated yesterday!! thanks for the news though, just a day late in my case!
    Last edited by Mudbone; 08-13-2009 at 12:41 AM.

CLICK HERE
    40+ THEMES CONVERTED TO 5.50Gen!!

360 Gamer Card/Other

Thanks For The Info.Great News!

Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbone View Post
    fudge i updated yesteray!! thanks for the news though, just a day late in my case!
    oh dang man that REALLY sucks for you

sIgMaKeR

i have a question can i download an xbox360 upgrade because i dont have internet or a new game with an update.

Taking sig requests

does this mean that i cant play any "legally" backed up game on my hacked xbox 360?

never mind, i updated mine, i can still play my "legally" backed up games, but, what does this mean?

will i still be able to run homwbrew on my xbox?
    Last edited by XBonnerX; 08-13-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: updated my xbox

Elite Poster

I wish I had homebrew on my xbox 360.
    To a greater force, and to a better nature, you free, are subject, and that creates the mind in you, which the heavens have not in their charge. Therefore if the present world go astray, the cause is in you, in you it is to be sought.

I literally updated like 5 minutes before reading this.... What. A. Fail.

No This Update Was Just Released.AnyThing Prior To This Summer Update Wont Hurt Your Homebrew.This Update Is The First Update To Overwrite The First Bootloader Of The System.If You Havent Updated To The Summer Dasboard Then Your Okay,As The Update Just Was Released By Microsoft Tuesday.

I have heard about this as well. Unfortunately, I had no choice. I immediately updated without any notice the morning the Dashboard update was released. I know how much you can do with homebrew capabilities on your console, I can't afford to go and buy a new 360 that doesn't have the update pre-installed. Looks like I'll have to miss out.